Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After a FAILED Windows Update, HP computer won't work.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

Hi,

My problem is this:

My wife’s laptop (HP Notebook 15-af042nl) started to do the latest Microsoft Update but that FAILED.

The computer tried to do a roll back because of this but also that FAILED.

It now takes about 40 minutes, after start-up to get to the user log-in screen. The desktop doesn't come up even after an hour or so.

All I can see is the Comodo Firewall tab to say everything is ok.

In the Log-In screen it shows that there is no Internet connection and that NO connections are available.

So far I have tried to:

Refresh the PC but received this error:

“There was a problem. No changes were made.”

Start Up-Repair but received this error:

“Start Up PC couldn’t repair your PC”

Log file C:Windows\system32\logsfiles\srt\srtTrail.txt

I have tried the LAST 3 System restores but get this error:

Your computer’s system files and settings were not changed.

Details: System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point .  SOURCE: AppxStaging

Destination: %ProgramFiles%WindowsApps

An Unspecified error occurred during System  restore. (0x80070091)

The computer came with Windows 8.1 installed but I updated it straight away to Windows 10  64BIT as it was: 1. to be free  for another 4 months and 2. I didn't want to learn 8.1 only to change to 10 after a short period of time.

Any help would be very grateful.

Thank you

Edited by English Teacher, 18 March 2017 - 01:12 PM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

Hi, English Teacher,

Please perform the following:

:step1: MiniToolBox by Farbar

• Download and save MiniToolBox from here.
• Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control Prompts.
• Hit Select All and click Go. (You may uncheck Reset IE Proxy/FF Proxy Settings if you have intentionally setup a proxy server.)
• Once MiniToolBox is complete, it will open a text file called MTB.txt, which is stored in the same directory you ran MiniToolBox from.
• Please copy and paste the contents of MTB.txt in your next reply.

:step2: Speccy by Piriform

• Download and save Speccy from here.
• Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
• Open up the extracted folder, right-click on Speccy64.exe, and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
• After waiting a while, click File, then Publish Snapshot.
• Hit Yes to the Publish Snapshot dialog, then click Copy to Clipboard. Paste the URL in your next reply.

Also, please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files in your next reply.

Thanks.

Regards,
bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply.

This is the problem, I can't log in. All I can see is the Windows 10 Login Page without any user names, The internet connect showing a red "X", the easy access symbol and the Power Off.

From clicking the F11 button while booting up gives me these options:

1. Use a device  or 2 Troubleshoot plus another 2 which are not

From the Troubleshoot it gives these options: Refresh your PC (Done several times but FAILED), Reset your PC (losing everything AHHHHH), Start-up repair says it can't repair and that a log has been created in a certain file (FAILED).

There was one of the options that said it would keep my files but I saw that it would delete most of the programs including the HP ones that were there.

Right after installing Windows 10, I made, via HP, a disk (well 9 really) image.

Looks like I might have to use one of those options. Do you happen to know if it is possible to do a "Repair Install" like we could in Windows XP?

Thanks again

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Have you run the HP diagnostics?  I'd suggest doing that before trying to do a repair install (in case the hard drive has problems).

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10" (thanks to FreeBooter for the link!)
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

Hi USASMA,

Nice to hear from you again.

Yes I have run ALL the HP Diagnostic Tests via F2 but that says everything is OK.

Problem is that I can't start the computer into normal mode. Safe mode only gives certain options, unlike Windows XP.

Thank you for your input here.

Edited by English Teacher, 20 March 2017 - 02:25 PM.

#6 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Just an Update.

I got to the CMD command and tried to do   "  SFC /SCANNOW"    but it says There is a System repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run SFC again.

I have rebooted several times the computer but ALWAYS get this message.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for the welcome back.  My eyes are still bad, so I can't read many reports without resting them.  Hopefully they'll improve some more over the coming weeks.

Frankly, with the number of problems that you're having, I'd think that a wipe of the system and a clean reinstall of Windows would be the best thing now.

But, if you still want to try to fix it:

Here's several things to try:

- do a clean boot and see if a restart will help then (this may also help you boot into normal mode - which may help with the SFC problem also)

Perform a Clean Boot:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

If that stops the problem, then re-enable things a few at a time until you figure out what's causing it.
Then uninstall the problem program (from Control Panel...Programs and Features).

- DISM repair

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

- Post a new topic in the Windows 10 forums asking for help w/SFC.EXE - a Windows Update expert may be able to help with it

Edited by usasma, 21 March 2017 - 06:16 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

Hi USASMA,

Firstly let me say how sorry I am for your eyesight. I hope things get better very soon for you.

Secondly, thanks for your input in this situation. I ran the DISM scan in an elevated CMD and it gave the result that everything was OK.

As you yourself said, with the number of issues that it was having I ran the HP Reset as I believe this was the best option. Also my wife needs her computer back ASAP and trying to do a repair would probably have taken more time than that.

Anyway, once again I thank you and take care of yourself. Hope to hear from you soon.  :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users