Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help optimizing build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dave034

dave034

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

I recently upgraded my old pc which was a HP Pavilion 500. I upgrade the case, GPU, and PSU. I am eventually going to upgrade my motherboard and probably salvage the CPU and RAM. 

Current Build: 
CPU : Intel Core i5-4460S @ 2900 MHz
GPU : EVGA SCC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 150 Ti
Motherboard : HP 2AF7
RAM : 12GB
Case : Corsair SPEC 01

So, I do have a couple of questions that I was hoping to address. I am new to building computers so my knowledge on the subject is mediocre. If I make any mistakes, I apologize. 

1) What would be the temperature range for my specific CPU and GPU? I am currently monitoring them with the CAM software, and when I run games, the GPU tends to go up to 56 degrees Celsius, which is over the Community Max Temp that the software provides me. As for the CPU, it tends to go up to 50 degrees Celsius. 

2) I wanted to purchase some new fans for the case, but I am not sure if it is necessary? Given the information I provided, would you recommend adding new fans? If so, where would the ideal placement of fans be. I was thinking of buying two more fans and putting an additional intake fan on the front and an exhaust on the back. 

3) Since I am using a stock motherboard right now, it only has with one system fan 3 pin connection. I took out the stock intake fan, and connected the new fan that came with the new case. Everything I boot up my computer, it gives me a 512 error saying that the rear chassis fan was not detected. I assume that it is because I am not using the stock fan. My plan was to connect the new case fan to the PSU with a 3 pin to MOLEX adapter, or purchase a fan controller. Then I was going to connect the stock fan to the motherboard and use that as a exhaust fan. In addition, the stock fan is smaller than the screw mounts on the case, so I was just going to zip tie it to the case. In addition, the new case fan is in the front of the case, while the connection on the motherboard is all the way at the back. The cable is just barely long enough and I have it stretched over the CPU fan. That is the other reason I am considering doing this. 

4) My case comes with USB 2 and USB 3 on the front. When I connect them to the motherboard, the USB 3 does not work even though it fits the connections. Does the motherboard I have support USB 3?

6) My case has vents on the top and my room tends to accumulate dust quickly, should I purchase dust filters and put them over the top?

That's all of the questions that I can think of right now, if you could answer any of these, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, any recommendations for future motherboards or parts, please let me know. Thank you!

These are some pictures of the final build, also any cable management tips would be great, thanks!
http://imgur.com/a/bHSZn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

1. CPU and GPU temps are OK.

2. 120mm to back sounds good idea. Another intake fan, well, 120mm fans are cheap but it's not that much needed.

3. You probably can disable fan warnings on BIOS. Fan controller is good idea.

4. Motherboard supports USB 3 but connector is not necessarily standard one. Also drivers and BIOS must be OK.

6. It's good idea to buy them.

I don't think you'll need new motherboard though. For cable management, use backside of motherboard tray much more.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 18 March 2017 - 01:19 PM.

#3 dave034

dave034
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

I tried diabling the error in the BIOS, but there is no option for it. I was thinking of getting the two pack of Corsair SP fans and place another fan in the front. The reason why I was looking at SP was because the fan mount is in front of the hard drive tray. And then connect the OEM fan and the second Corsair fan to the back and use them as exhaust fans. Or is it better just to have 2 intake and 1 exhaust? If that's the case, would a smaller fan make a difference for the exhaust? Cause the OEM fan is smaller than the mounts and I want to use that to get rid of the error if I can't find any way to disable that.

For the USB 3, could you explain that more? I'm not really sure what's wrong, All the drivers are up to date the last time I checked. When I plugged in various USB devices (3 different flash drives, a microphone, and a headset), there is a connection. Like when I look under devices, it shows that something is connected but it says the device is unrecognizable or something (I don't remember off the top of my head, I have to double check what it said). 

As for the fan controller, do you have any recommendation for fan controllers? I was looking at a few from NZXT, but I don't have much experience with these. Also, is it better to get one that automatically control the fan speeds? I'm only asking because It's possible that I might accidentally keep the fan too low and not provide enough airflow. Also, the only reason that I'm hesitant on getting a controller now, is because, I may upgrade my motherboard in the future and I've seen motherboards with more than one connection for fans. (I might get one just cause I've seen online how it could better deliver power, also they come with more RAM slots so if I wanted to add more, without getting rid of the current ones, I can.) Would it be better to get a fan controller instead? 

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2017 - 02:35 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

I'd recommend 2 exhaust and 1 intake. Smaller fan should not make much difference. However if 2 intake and 1 exhaust can solve fan problem, then it's also good choice. You don't really need good airflow. Even worse than average is enough.

For USB 3, it's possible that motherboard (or old case) connector is non-standard and if any of those two is, you probably just cannot use it with new case.

I'd recommend Bitfenix Recon. It can software control fans, and that's huge bonus.

#5 dave034

dave034
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

I was looking at the Bitfenix Recon, but I don't think that I will trust it. Based on reviews, people have been saying that it doesn't last very long, the screen will turn off, smoke, etc. Have you had any personal experience with this? 
I was thinking of purchasing the NZXT Grid + V2. Have you had any experience with that one? Also, I was thinking of purchaing a two pack of the SP fans becuase of the price. I would use one as another intake in the front and then probably use another as an exhaust. Would that make a difference? Or would a AF fan be better for the exhaust. So I would have in total 4 fans. The one that came with the case and one SP fan in the front as intakes. Both connected to the controller. And then one SP fan at the back connected to the controller and the OEM fan at the back connected to the motherboard. 

Also, since running some more games, the CAM software has frequently notified me that my CPU and GPU have been running at max load at certain times. Looking through the history, one of the temps I found was 48 degrees at 84% load for the CPU. And for the GPU, the highest I can find is around 55 degrees at 78% load. Is that something I should be worried about? I don't quite understand the load. 

Also according to the software, it says that my CPU fan is always running at around 450-500 RPM

I currently have only one intake fan at the front, would the additional fans help with those temps?

Mod Edit:  Merged posts - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

I was looking at the Bitfenix Recon, but I don't think that I will trust it. Based on reviews, people have been saying that it doesn't last very long, the screen will turn off, smoke, etc. Have you had any personal experience with this?

I have one and do not really care about screen etc as I control fans with software.

No experience about Grid 2.

That fan arrangement sounds fine. Airflow should be better than really needed.

Those temps are OK. It's normal that CPU and GPU loads are high during heavy use.

CPU fan @ 500 RPM sounds very low, too low in fact. Probably error.

There's nothing wrong with temps but more airflow generally will mean lower temps.

#7 dave034

dave034
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

The only thing I'm worried about is the whole smoking and shortcircuiting part that people have said in reviews. But I was mistaken for the CPU fan speed. Checking the BIOS, the CPU fan is actually running around 1400 while the system fan ( case fan which I have connected) is running at 500. The CAM software is just mistaking it. Also, someone else recommended  spending a few extra dollars just for a new motherboard. Is that a better option than buying a fan controller? If so, do you have any recommendations? I'll probably salvage the CPU, CPU fan, and RAM. Although, I may look at a new CPU cooling option as well. Although I may also replace the RAM. The current ram is Hyundai Electronics 12 GB DDR3 RAM. 

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Virtually every manufacturer have smoking fan controllers, meaning faulty units. So I see no reason to avoid Recon.

Fan controller is much cheaper and better choice than new motherboard unless there is need for something else new motherboard can offer.

So I recommend you get Recon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users