Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Stuck at 'Checking for Updates' (cannot install KB3172605)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 isk

isk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

As per the steps given MoxieMomma on the same topic, I followed the directions. 

However after installing KB 3020369 successfully and rebooting, when I tried to install KB3172605 the message

"This update is not applicable to your computer" popped up.

How do I resolve this ?

The directions I followed are given below

1.  Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  6. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  7. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  8. Reconnect to internet.
  9. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  10. Run a manual check for updates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:03 PM

If the update that you're trying to install doesn't match the architecture for your CPU (32bit or 64bit)  you may encounter that error message. Make sure you downloaded the correct one for your CPU.

Edited by Union_Thug, 18 March 2017 - 10:03 PM.

#3 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

@ isk

The KB3020369+KB3172605 fix is supposed to fix slow or broken Windows Update in Win 7, esp for a clean install. Seems, since late Jan 2017, M$ have fixed or "unfixed" this problem which started in Aug 2015, ie just after the launch of Win 10 and the 1-year free Win 10 upgrade offer to Win 7/8.1 users = a dirty tactic to push Win 7/8.1 users onto Win 10.?

....... So, Win 7 users may no longer have to apply this fix in order to get Windows Update working normally again. If not, no harm in applying the fix.

Personally, I bought a new OEM Win 7 laptop in 2013. From 29 July 2015, I rejected the free Win 10 upgrade offer by hiding GWX KB3035583 and related updates. Windows Update ran smoothly until it became broken in April 2016, ie the same time when M$ aggressively sneaked the Win 10 upgrade onto Win 7/8.1 computers by hiding GWX KB3035583 inside the cumulative update for IE 11, KB3139929. I had to manually install security updates, one-by-one, via M$ Update Catalog or Download Center. In Aug 2016, I stopped manual updating and moved to Linux on an external HDD.

....... "Miraculously", in Feb 2017, my Windows Update got going normally again and with Windows Update I installed only the remaining security updates for Aug and Sep 2016 because of M$'s imposition of mandatory monthly Patch Rollups from Oct 2016 onward. Fyi, I have just hidden the March 2017 Patch Rollup and MSRT in Windows Update.

P S - During the last year of the life of Win XP, ie in 2013 and 2014, the Windows Update/M$ website for Win XP was similarly affected, ie slow or broken updating = to push Win XP users onto Win 7/8.1.? Later, the problem disappeared.

....... In 2015, I received an old HP desktop computer with Win XP SP2 installed. I had no problem updating thru the Windows Update/M$ website and then updating to SP3.

P S 2 - Bear in mind that M$ can do anything with Windows Update in a Windows system at any time, eg slow it down or break it temporarily or permanently. Eg M$-Windows Update will not be supporting Win 7/8.1 for new computers with the Intel Kabylake and AMD Ryzen chips, even though EOL is in 2020/2023. Windows Update may be a malware and/or ransomware.

Edited by anorkneemerse, 19 March 2017 - 12:15 AM.

#4 isk

isk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

If the update that you're trying to install doesn't match the architecture for your CPU (32bit or 64bit)  you may encounter that error message. Make sure you downloaded the correct one for your CPU.

I made sure that I downloaded the 64 bit version, as I have 64 bit OS.

@ isk

The KB3020369+KB3172605 fix is supposed to fix slow or broken Windows Update in Win 7, esp for a clean install. Seems, since late Jan 2017, M$ have fixed or "unfixed" this problem which started in Aug 2015, ie just after the launch of Win 10 and the 1-year free Win 10 upgrade offer to Win 7/8.1 users = a dirty tactic to push Win 7/8.1 users onto Win 10.?

....... So, Win 7 users may no longer have to apply this fix in order to get Windows Update working normally again. If not, no harm in applying the fix.

Personally, I bought a new OEM Win 7 laptop in 2013. From 29 July 2015, I rejected the free Win 10 upgrade offer by hiding GWX KB3035583 and related updates. Windows Update ran smoothly until it became broken in April 2016, ie the same time when M$ aggressively sneaked the Win 10 upgrade onto Win 7/8.1 computers by hiding GWX KB3035583 inside the cumulative update for IE 11, KB3139929. I had to manually install security updates, one-by-one, via M$ Update Catalog or Download Center. In Aug 2016, I stopped manual updating and moved to Linux on an external HDD.

....... "Miraculously", in Feb 2017, my Windows Update got going normally again and with Windows Update I installed only the remaining security updates for Aug and Sep 2016 because of M$'s imposition of mandatory monthly Patch Rollups from Oct 2016 onward. Fyi, I have just hidden the March 2017 Patch Rollup and MSRT in Windows Update.

P S - During the last year of the life of Win XP, ie in 2013 and 2014, the Windows Update/M$ website for Win XP was similarly affected, ie slow or broken updating = to push Win XP users onto Win 7/8.1.? Later, the problem disappeared.

....... In 2015, I received an old HP desktop computer with Win XP SP2 installed. I had no problem updating thru the Windows Update/M$ website and then updating to SP3.

P S 2 - Bear in mind that M$ can do anything with Windows Update in a Windows system at any time, eg slow it down or break it temporarily or permanently. Eg M$-Windows Update will not be supporting Win 7/8.1 for new computers with the Intel Kabylake and AMD Ryzen chips, even though EOL is in 2020/2023. Windows Update may be a malware and/or ransomware.

So, should I upgrade it Windows 10 ?

#5 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:24 PM

@ lsk

Personally, I rejected Win 10 because of mandatory cumulative auto-updates, mandatory version upgrades and Win 10 is likely an NSA spyware(= Telemetry and Data collection). Win 10 Home users are used by M$ as beta-testers for their mandatory and buggy updates. On top of that, Win 10 is an adware.

....... Fyi, Win 10 RTM Version 1507 will reach its EOL/end-of-life in May 2017(= less than 2 years since release).

Since Aug 2016, I have been running Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon off an external hard-drive on my mostly non-updated OEM Win 7 computer.

So, for the tech-savvy, they should leave M$-Windows for Linux, and for the non-tech-savvy, they should remain on Win 7/8.1 and hide all the Telemetry updates, eg KB2952664, or move to ChromeOS or MacOS.

....... Hopefully, there will soon come a viable and user-friendly alternate and free OS, eg Google's Fuchsia OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users