Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can this device even be hacked?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Hello,

Quick question:

Can a feature phone, such as the Nokia 105 (2015), which doesn't have a browser, GPS, bluetooth, WLAN, 3G, GPRS or EDGE, even be hacked remotely in any other way besides the GSM network? Is there any other "door", so to speak, to hacking the device remotely?

I see the device has an FM radio. Can it be used to gain access to the phone remotely?

I'd appreciate any helpful input on the subject. Thank you in advance!
:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 18 March 2017 - 08:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

Anyone here, who understands security, know?

#3 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

This could be worth a read

https://www.wired.com/2014/11/airhopper-hack/

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

This could be worth a read

https://www.wired.com/2014/11/airhopper-hack/

This was really helpful! Thank you. :)

So it turns out that if you want to reduce the chances of being tracked or recorded by anybody by 99%, you just have to throw away anything from your house which has a display.

I guess the most advanced piece of tech that there ever was, which can't be tracked easily, would be my friend's dad's Lada 2107.
It has neither SatNav, nor a radio. lol

Edited by Just_One_Question, 20 March 2017 - 10:23 AM.

#5 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Unfortunately yes, everything is able to be infiltrated nowadays.

Especially with manufacture's creating Toasters and crap which have wifi connectivity. Not even my sodding toast is safe anymore.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

Haha yes, I can see somewhere in the not-so-distant future a newspaper article with a line which would go something like this:

...what ultimately brought the fraud to his capture by the police and ultimate demise, was the sound recordings the law-enforcers were able to get from his coffee maker...

lol

BTW, the NSA is having a hearing in front of congress right now. It is live and if you want to have a look at it, just type NSA in YouTube(yet another service which keeps track of your activities, albeit actually being really helpful in suggesting new videos to watch).

Cheers!

#7 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:15 AM

Sounds interesting, might just do that :)

#8 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Even microwaves have camera's now!!!!!! :bananas:  :bananas:  :bananas:

Cars are already starting to become hacked and will probably only get worse in the years to come.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 33,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

Wait till they hold your breakfast cereal milk hostage with ransomware.........

No, really, I'm not kidding. :)

http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/family-hub-refrigerator/

Guess that means no late night trips to the fridge in your PJ's either..... :lmao:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

Oh, for the love of God! I guess when you get your fridge hacked that whole 'party time' will be over really fast... :lmao:

#11 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Fansmitter: Acoustic Data Exfiltration from (Speakerless) Air-Gapped Computers. http://cyber.bgu.ac.il/content/fansmitter-acoustic-data-exfiltration-speakerless-air-gapped-computers

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

Fansmitter: Acoustic Data Exfiltration from (Speakerless) Air-Gapped Computers. http://cyber.bgu.ac.il/content/fansmitter-acoustic-data-exfiltration-speakerless-air-gapped-computers

That's one of the most intelectually deep ways of hacking and extracting information that I have ever heard of.
I honestly can't believe somebody got this whole idea in the first place.

I am not too worried about it though as this method, albeit undeniably smart, requires physical connection with the computer in order to install the malware first, whereas I am more worried about remote ways of hacking. Until then, noone can infiltrate my NES, connected to my feature-less TV. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users