Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Print W10 Mail emails

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

Just started using W10 Mail app instead of Live Mail. Everything seems to work ok except I cannot print emails. Searched and discovered many have same issue but no one seems to have a solution. Any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

What, exactly, is occurring after you've selected the "Print" option from the triple-dot dropdown menu that appears at the upper right corner of the message display window?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

Normal black window comes on showing connecting, then connected to printer and page preview shows. Hit print button and printer icon shows on task bar but nothing happens. Hover over printer icon and message says 0 docs sent to printer. Sometimes printer icon never shows. Printer never sees anything coming. I can save email to documents and print it. That is not a bad option considering how infrequently I print emails. Just like things to work right.

Edited by Artbuc, 18 March 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

You need to double check that the printer that your messages are being sent to are the printer you think it is.

First I'd go to Control Panel, Devices and Printers and make sure that your default printer is set to what you want it to be.  If it is, then proceed to the Win10 Mail App and make sure that the print dialog that comes up shows that the print is being directed to that same printer.  

I have more than once seen someone accidentally set the "send to" printer to something other than what they think it is, entirely by accident, and most Windows programs will remember whatever printer you used last until you change it.

If it's actually sending to the printer you believe it should be, then I'd try the following then see if that fixes things:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Fixing “Weird Issues” under Windows 8 or Windows 10 Using the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management (DISM)

If you are having "weird problems" with any Windows system, the first thing you should do is to run the System File Checker (SFC).  Open a Command Prompt window using the "Run as Administrator" option.  The easiest way to do this is to hit the Windows Key, immediately enter the text “Command Prompt” and getting the Command Prompt desktop app returned as the first item.  Gain focus on it and bring up the context menu either via right click or hitting the menu/applications key [if your machine has one] or Shift+F10 if it does not then selecting “Run as administrator” from the context menu that appears.  Once that elevated command prompt window is opened, enter:

SFC /scannow

When it's finished look at its output to see if it found any corrupt files and whether it was able to fix them.

If SFC reports that it was unable to fix something, on Windows 8 and Windows 10 systems it's also worth running the following command, also in a Command Prompt window that's been opened with "Run as Adminstrator":

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

DISM should be able to fix errors that SFC may not be able to fix.  If you wish to be really thorough, after running DISM, and presuming it reports that all has been fixed, shutdown and restart your machine and run SFC one final time.  The SFC result should be clean.

------------------------------------------------------

If that doesn't work then I'd consider removing the printer from Devices and Printers, going to the manufacturer's website and downloading the latest "full software" package for that printer, then reinstalling it using that package.  Generally, when doing this, you keep the printer unplugged until the software asks you to plug it in, and that's even if you will be configuring it for wireless use.  I've seen more than one occasion where this has solved some really weird problems such as you describe with printing.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

Ok, I did not have any printer options set to default so I right clicked and set it to default. Got message warning if I do this windows can no longer manage print devices. Did not make any difference re printing Mail emails. I have only one printer so there can not be any confusion. The last printer is always the right one.

Edited by Artbuc, 18 March 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#6 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,791 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:28 AM

Artbuc:

I found this article on the web that might be of assistance.

I think britechguy has given you good advice.  Your printer driver may not be fully compatible with Windows 10, or might have become corrupted.  If the first suggestion does not work, I would, if it was me, go to the printer manufacturer's website and download and install the latest, Windows 10 compatible printer driver, assuming that there is a Windows 10-compatible printer driver for your printer, after uninstalling your current printer driver.  I suspect that your print jobs are going to the Microsoft XPS printer "device".  Also, as britechguy suggested, make sure that the email app has selected the printer that you want, when you try to print an email.

Let us know how you make out.  Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

#7 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:21 AM

Got it! I think, lol. Looks like Mail does not play with gmail set-up on POP. Deleted accounts then added back using Google option instead of advanced settings. Went into gmail and enabled imap. Can print and gmail no,longer deleted from inbox (see other thread),

#8 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,791 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

Artbuc:

I am glad to hear that you resolved your problem :thumbup2:  Thank you for sharing your solution.  It will probably help others faced with the same issue.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users