Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sometimes computer recognizes android

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

My SG 5 will charge when I plug it into a usb port on my computer. Sometimes it will even show up as SG 5 phone. I need to transfer some large files from the phone to my desktop but it won't show up in Windows 10 This PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

Not sure, but try this:

1. Go into 'Settings' on your smartphone
2. Go to 'About phone'
3. Tap 10 times on 'Build number' to open a secret menu
4. You should see some message among the lines of 'You've now become a developer' or something like this
5. In 'About phone' there should now be a menu called 'Developer options'. Enter it
6. At the top, slide the switch to 'On'
7. After you've enabled developer options as told in point 6, go to 'USB debugging' in 'Developer options' and slide it to be enabled as well.
8. Go to your smartphone home screen
9. Restart your smartphone
10. Connect your smartphone to your PC via a USB cable
11. If/When asked on your smartphone, tap on 'View files' or something like that
12. You should now see your smartphone on your computer
13. Enjoy!
:)

P.S. Depending on your phone & your Android version the menus in the instruction could be named differently.

#3 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

Thanks,

There is no 'about phone'.  

There is a 'About device'. When I touch on 'Build number', it says "Developer mode has already been turned on"

There is no 'Develper options' though.

Not sure, but try this:

1. Go into 'Settings' on your smartphone
2. Go to 'About phone'
3. Tap 10 times on 'Build number' to open a secret menu
4. You should see some message among the lines of 'You've now become a developer' or something like this
5. In 'About phone' there should now be a menu called 'Developer options'. Enter it
6. At the top, slide the switch to 'On'
7. After you've enabled developer options as told in point 6, go to 'USB debugging' in 'Developer options' and slide it to be enabled as well.
8. Go to your smartphone home screen
9. Restart your smartphone
10. Connect your smartphone to your PC via a USB cable
11. If/When asked on your smartphone, tap on 'View files' or something like that
12. You should now see your smartphone on your computer
13. Enjoy!

P.S. Depending on your phone & your Android version the menus in the instruction could be named differently.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:00 AM

Search somewhere on your smartphone in 'Settings' for 'Developer mode' and when you find it, proceed as in the instructions. It could be somewhere in the sub-menus in 'Settings', most probably in 'About device'.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 19 March 2017 - 06:00 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

Unless this is an early version of Android you should not need to enable developer options to have the phone become visible to your computer.

One of the articles returned in this DuckDuckGo search had ought to cover your situation.   I know that with Marshmallow (Android 6.X) I had to tell the phone that the computer itself was a trusted device or some such the first time I connected it to the phone.  You will probably have to do the same thing.

I believe the terminology employed has changed over the last several releases of Android as far as the choices in the USB connection dialog.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#6 elizbethsewell666

elizbethsewell666

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:03 AM

It also in setting at the end above about phone.

Search somewhere on your smartphone in 'Settings' for 'Developer mode' and when you find it, proceed as in the instructions. It could be somewhere in the sub-menus in 'Settings', most probably in 'About device'.

#7 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:18 AM

I saw a suggestion to try another cable. I used the one that came with the phone, and it worked.

I'm still wondering why the computer wouldn't recognize this even though it 'recognized' it enough to charge it.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,894 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

I saw a suggestion to try another cable. I used the one that came with the phone, and it worked.

I'm still wondering why the computer wouldn't recognize this even though it 'recognized' it enough to charge it.

Because the pins and/or wires used for charging are distinct from the ones used for data exchange.  All it takes is for one of the data exchange lines to be severed and you won't have any device recognition for data exchange.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

Because the pins and/or wires used for charging are distinct from the ones used for data exchange.  All it takes is for one of the data exchange lines to be severed and you won't have any device recognition for data exchange.
a little off-topic...
Holy s**t! You opened up my world, lol. I never really understood how this whole cable thing happened where they, for example, could transfer both audio & video signal and energy. Thank you!

P.S. Does that mean that theoretically you can combine basically every type of cable, or atleast the top 5 most used at a typical household, into one cable, provided that you don't mind its huge thickness and supersized port?

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,894 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

a little off-topic...
Holy s**t! You opened up my world, lol. I never really understood how this whole cable thing happened where they, for example, could transfer both audio & video signal and energy. Thank you!

P.S. Does that mean that theoretically you can combine basically every type of cable, or atleast the top 5 most used at a typical household, into one cable, provided that you don't mind its huge thickness and supersized port?

You're welcome.   Simply think about how devices, including laptops, charge themselves.  There aren't 20 different separate bits on the end of that charger cord, just good old + and -

This is true of every charger I've ever seen that uses some sort of circular/tubular connection.

A USB cable contains that plus the data exchange bits.  See this page for the pin out arrangements for USB cables with all the various end types, including microUSB, which has become the de facto standard on most devices these days.

I'm rather sure an HDMI cable could probably substitute for every other cable type commonly used in most households.  Think about what an HDMI cable has to transfer.  That being said, cost, cost, cost drives much of this stuff and omitting a wire or two over millions of cables, connectors, etc., . . .

~ Mark Twain

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

Thank you! Very interesting. :)

#12 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

Thanks! Speaking of usb cables...Once in a while I'll get a device that uses a mini usb. These don't seem to be that common; I'm also wondering why some manufacturers decide to use that.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,894 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

MiniUSB was huge before MicroUSB ran over it, big time.

I agree that it's relatively rare now, but there are devices that were engineered using that connector that have never required (or never received) updates in that department.

Visit a thrift shop that resells cables and you generally can find a MiniUSB in the mix.

~ Mark Twain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users