Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Mobile Security displaying questionable ads.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

Something thats bothered for awhile now is how Avast has been displaying questionable ads in there app. Namely SUPO Optimizer booster&cleaner. Just look at the ads yourself: d0135b4965d26a10a5f2eb926a96cf89-db2nuhr

e9ac1bf4ccffda76b1671f159c3d0399-db2nut0

I could see many nonsavy users installing this app or others because of the big red warning (phone in danger). :nono:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Avast_Team

Avast_Team

Authorized Avast Rep

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for posting. I will pass this on directly to my mobile team.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Optimizers, snake oil of the industry. I wouldn't touch these with a 10 foot pole.

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for posting. I will pass this on directly to my mobile team.

Your welcome. It caught my eye and I thought it needed to be mentioned.

#5 elizbethsewell666

elizbethsewell666

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:07 AM

This is the best way to promote any app, so they used these ads and people thinks there phone is in a big risk and  install the promoting app. I didn't use any antivirus application ever.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:02 AM

...I didn't use any antivirus application ever.

vztc6Bw.gif

Edited by Just_One_Question, 28 March 2017 - 07:02 AM.

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

I didn't use any antivirus application ever.

You should at least have antimalware on your Android device. Because believe it or not theres malware on the Google Play Store.

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:46 AM

I didn't use any antivirus application ever.

You should at least have antimalware on your Android device. Because believe it or not theres malware on the Google Play Store.
But what if she is like me, never installing any apps, only downloading torrents(movies, music and TV series) from trusted websites, having banned pretty much all permissions on the smartphone, frequently cleaning it and just occasionally running Malwarebytes?

What I am trying to say is...I am my own anti-virus! lol :lmao:

Edited by Just_One_Question, 29 March 2017 - 05:47 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

One should recognize when one's own usage habits or other "standard operating procedures" vary so far from the norm that what applies to you personally is unlikely to apply to the "general user."

Android has become a big, big target just like Windows has been for a very long time.  It is worthwhile to acknowledge that most average users should, at this juncture, have some sort of antivirus/antimalware scanner running on their devices.

The old saying in statistics that, "population data may not be applicable to any individual," also works in its converse, "individual data may not be applicable to a population as a whole."

Going back to the original subject, but a bit more broadly, there have been a number of recent articles in the popular press about how difficult it is for businesses that are in "advertising relationships" for their websites (or similar) to exercise control over what, exactly, gets selected to show up there.  It's gonna be interesting to see how this gets worked out, as there are a lot of upset companies and their customers with regard to sketchy advertising under their "banners."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

Meh... I clean my cookies & cache so often (every night before bed and/or before restarting/shutting down my device) and also haven't had any 'social profiles' on any mainstream website for over 2 years, that web-ads so rarely apppy to me that I have got used to not even looking at them or ackonwledging them (maybe only subcounsciously though, who knows).

Otherwise, I agree with you once again. I've never meant my comment to be aplicable to a wide array of people. Only to me and my 'type of circle' of users - people who are both completely intermediate in terms of tech knowledge, but also don't really use their devices only for 'beginner stuff'.
:)

#11 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 974 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

I'm pretty careful to when I install an app I do some research before installing one, also I only stick to two app stores/softwares centers Google Play and F-Droid.

I have Avast & Malwarebytes installed on my phone for security.

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

I, in contrast, only have 4 non-stock Android apps which I have found usefull enough to install:

1.Flud - torrenting app
2.Simple Unrar - RAR/ZIP app for sometimes downloading English subtitles
3.VLC - media player app for watching movies, TV series & listening to music
4.WPS office - office app for looking at documents, mainly in .pdf

I have almost everything else disabled, even Google services, including the Play Store, because I don't need them.
Apart from a couple of funny games, from back in the day, I think most features which are needed already come bundled with the OS, be it Android or Windows, so there really is no use anymore for Google Play Store to me. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users