Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MALWAREBYTES VS IOBIT

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:33 PM

Quite some time ago I learned, from this very site, that IOBIT had infringed seriously copyrighted items that were private to the A/V and A/M engines of MALWAREBYTES ANTIMALWARE.

Two days ago, running Malwarebytes, it completely deleted the Advanced System Care Pro by IOBIT which I had.

It quarantined 7510 items of ASC Pro.

It would not allow reinstall. Everything was classified as a PUP.

Of course, you can tweak Malwarebytes to ignore PUPs, but that's not the question. The question is: Are the Iobit's programs really PUPs or is this only a revenge from Malwarebytes?

I copy the letter I received from IOBIT:

profile_mask2.png
IObit Support
7:12 AM (14 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Customer,

Currently, our program files are detected as PUP(potentially unwanted programs) by Malwarebytes.

PUP is a very controversial topic since it also makes legit programs as PUP. We are contacting MBAM to resolve this issue but they refuse to response directly other than ask us to email their legal team. So it would be better if you can also help us on this by emailing MBAM and ask them to remove this detection.

Presently please follow solution below.

Launch your Malwarebytes program  >> go to its Settings >> click Protection >> find Potential Threat Protection, change the settings for Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) from Treat PUPs as malware (recommended) to Ignore Detections. Then reinstall our program from as steps below:

1) Download the latest version of Advanced SystemCare 10 from link below and install it. (If you've finished this step, just skip it.)

http://update.iobit.com/dl/advanced-systemcare-setup.exe

2) Please refer to the step-by-step registration guidance with screenshots in the link   http://www.iobit.com/hotquestions-asc.php to activate your license code below:

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

What are we supposed to do? Excluding the Registry Repair I normally use ASC 10 from Iobit about once a week.

Should Iobit return the money or should we wait, God knows for how long, the legal solution between these two companies?

What does Bleeping Computer suggest?

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2017 - 09:15 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of PC Optimizers, Driver Updaters or Registry Cleaners. Please see this excellent post on the subject by Quietman7.

I would recommend that you uninstall IOBit System Care. Using such programs can cause computer issues, and I speak from personal experience. You are well advised to stay away from these applications. They are all "snake oil" as well as being dangerous to the health and performance of your computer. Generally speaking all of the functions that these program classes perform are either already built into Windows or should not be done automatically, only when the need arises.

PUP classification can also be given to applications that have installers that are known to install malicious or other unwanted applications with them, not necessarily from the application itself.

I hope this clears this up for you

Edited by TsVk!, 17 March 2017 - 08:07 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

+1 TsVk!  :)  Long long ago, I tried for just a little while such system care utilities, and they were removed real quick.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:25 AM

Ongoing MBAM forum thread about this issue.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/197828-malware-bytes-almost-messed-up-my-pc-why/

We are aware of an issue around this and are working internally on a solution for it. Unfortunately we don't have a workaround at this time.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

Ongoing MBAM forum thread about this issue.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/197828-malware-bytes-almost-messed-up-my-pc-why/

We are aware of an issue around this and are working internally on a solution for it. Unfortunately we don't have a workaround at this time.

What about encouraging routine backups of one's OS partition(s); and encouraging routine and on-demand registry backups with tweaking.com's Registry Backup/Restore or anything similar?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

Read the comments in Post #9 by pbust, a member of the Malwarebytes Staff.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

Pretty much sums it up. Nice find quietman7.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Yep...short and to the point.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

quietman7 has always been helpful when I had a problem. But my query goes beyond his accurate recommendations.

People purchase and install ASC Pro at their own risk. It does not come as a bundle together with other programs.

Although fully aware of the dangers it may pose, if I purchase and install it, it is NOT a PUP. There is nothing unwanted in it.

So why can a specific prestigious program call it a PUP? Bitdefender Total Security 2017 finds nothing wrong in my having Iobit's Advanced System Care Pro. HitmanPro says no problem. adwCleaner says no problem. Zemana says no problem. Sophos says no problem. Combofix says no problem. Emsisoft says no problem. Superantispyware says no problem. JRT doesn't even touch it.

To sum it up: Malwarebytes is lying when they classify ASC Pro as a PUP.

ASC Pro may harm your PC, but it does not fall in the category of a PUP.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

Rewording an earlier post snippit:  ...To sum it up: only Malwarebytes...classifies ASC Pro as a PUP.  ASC Pro may harm your PC, but it does not fall in the category of a PUP according to numerous other AM utilities.

-- I must enter this fray as a friend of the court on passacaglia's side.  In my opinion, based on experience with numerous utilities, just because XYZ names a utility as a PUP does not mean everybody ought to label said utility a potentially unwanted program.  Many utilities labeled a PUP if used carefully, if used cautiously, if used for specific purposes, if targeting specific things -- are blessings to those end-users.  Now, having posted that, I totally agree that PC SlimTrims, PC SpeederUppers, PC-This/PC-That, swiss-army-knives, should be avoided by almost all if not all end-users.

Edited by RolandJS, 18 March 2017 - 09:20 PM.

#11 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

If I purchase a program and willingly pay for it it is definitely not "unwanted" by me.

To stay within the "legalese", I suggest that Malwarebytes remove ASC Pro from their list of PUPs and include it in a new list to be called PHC (Potentially Harmful to your Computer).

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:30 PM

well....at the very least  you have given all here occasion to laugh/giggle/smile.....

""To sum it up: Malwarebytes is lying when they classify ASC Pro as a PUP""

Really passacaglia ?....

I would make the assumption that MBAM has just a tad more experience than you...especially when it comes to their own business

I would further make the assumption that you are here to 'stir the pot'

Here at BC, we are a most accommodating lot...we will put up with all sorts of crap....even such as you have presented above...

However....the beauty of the world that surrounds us, is that "freedom of choice" rules the roost ...feel free to exercise that right

MBAM are in charge of their offering......they allow a compromise...

If for whatever reason you want to continue using Advanced SystemCare, you can simply uncheck the detections and click Next after a scan with MBAM, and the prompt will ask you if you want to "Ignore Once" or "Ignore Always". If you Ignore Always it won't be detected any more.

SImple.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT EXCLUSIVELY... NO DUAL BOOT, NO VIRTUAL MACHINE

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:37 PM

I think the original comment about "lying" should be adjusted.

#14 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

Condobloke: You make too many assumptions

MBAM targeted Iobit. Why not Driver Booster (just as harmful)?

Or any of the myriad of registry cleaners out there?

Of course I can check the "Ignore Always" alternative. But that is not the point.

The point is that MBAM is classifying ASC Pro as a PUP, and it is not a PUP.

Not at least during the last two years when I have used both.

Did MBAM just find out it was a PUP?

RolandJS: How would you call a lie by another name?

Keep in mind that attorneys might be watching this exchange on both sides of the Pacific.

Edited by passacaglia, 18 March 2017 - 11:27 PM.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 10,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:30 PM

The key is the word "potentially".

PUP is Potentially Unwanted Program - "potentially" meaning some people may not want it there when it is pointed out to them. I have a number of utilities that are flagged as potentially problematic by various scanners, but I know what they're for and just disregard the classification in the report. If I was scanning somebody else's computer where that utility being present could be suspicious or undesirable, I would likely accept the verdict, or consult the owner about it, and be pleased it was flagged as undesirable or potentially unwanted.

Top 5 things that never get done:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users