Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Domain controller suddenly having DHCP problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 csell0603

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:58 PM

Hi all,

I was moving a network switch from one rack to another, and I had to unplug two or three network cables that didn't have enough slack. I plugged them back in right afterwards. The domain controller suddenly cannot get online now, and it cannot access the SonicWALL firewall (even though it can ping it!!). Meanwhile, some computers on the domain can access the internet via DHCP while others cannot; If I set a static IP address and forcibly point DNS to the domain controller's IP address, I can get internet that way. But something is seriously messed up with DHCP and I can't figure it out for the life of me, as I am little green when it comes to networking.

I have already tried restarting the DHCP service on the domain controller with no luck. I need to get everything back up and running before tomorrow morning and I am absolutely desperate. Can anyone help??? Please let me know any troubleshooting tips you may have! Many thanks in advance!

Edit: I realize now that this topic probably belongs in the Windows Server category. My apologies. Any moderator please feel free to move this topic to the right category.

2nd Edit: I am running Windows Server 2008 r2 on the domain controller.

Edited by csell0603, 17 March 2017 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scivi92

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

Perhaps they're now plugged into the wrong ports and the vlans configured on the ports aren't correct any longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users