Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto defrag

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

I am not sure I understand how auto defrag works.

I want auto defrag to run every week on Wednesday afternoons. I can see that I can change the period to weekly but how do I set it to run on Wednesday afternoon; say 15:00 hours?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scivi92

scivi92

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

I'd say don't run defrag it is not necessary

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:58 AM

Since this doesn't relate to BSODs etc, please specify which Windows Version you are using (main one if several) so the topic can be moved to the appropriate forum.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:46 AM

Sorry

Thought I posted in Windows 10 support forum.

Pleaee move.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

The current version of the disc defragmenter is set to automatically run on an weekly schedule and does so when it detects significant idle time.

I suppose one could use the "Schedule Tasks" feature under Administrative Tools in Control Panel to schedule a disk defrag to run on an exact schedule, but I certainly wouldn't bother doing so.  This has been an "ignore it entirely and it takes care of itself" feature of Windows at least since Windows 8 (I think it might even be Windows 7, but I'm not certain of that).

If you were to schedule a weekly defrag I'd probably open the defrag utility and turn off the automatic feature or you'll be getting your scheduled run along with another automatic run.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

Hi the default is to run weekly around 1pm if I remember.

So for this to work your computer would need to be on around this time.

(Not hibernating).

Once a week as it is setup should be more then enough to keep the drive (DE)-fragmented.

But if you still wish to change check out this ...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8963-optimize-drives-schedule-settings-change-windows-10-a.html

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

I would like to remind those of you who are using a SSD that you don't need to defrag a SSD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

I would like to remind those of you who are using a SSD that you don't need to defrag a SSD.

Good point. Advice is for the majority still using "Classic" Hard drives. If I remember correctly Windows will do SSD maintenance as needed (Trim Command etc...)

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

Correct, Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 has a built in optimizer for ssd's it's called Trim.  Windows is supposed to detect a ssd and activate it. To determine if Trim is activated please do the following.  

In the Start menu type cmd, right click on the cmd.exe in the results above the search box and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the following command in the Command Prompt followed by pressing Enter.  

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If it returns a 0 then Trim is active, if it returns a 1 copy and paste the command below followed by pressing Enter.

fsutil behavior set disablenotify 0

Edited by dc3, 19 March 2017 - 12:35 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

I wonder if anybody still uses a spinning hard drive for their system disc any more.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

I wonder if anybody still uses a spinning hard drive for their system disc any more.

Yes.  (And many, many, many other "yes"-es).  Just look at what most machines are still sold with as standard equipment - it isn't SSDs.

Given the reliability I've experienced with conventional hard drives over the decades, and my lack of "need for extreme speed," I've not hopped on the SSD bandwagon.  I'm more interested in storage space and the bang for the buck on conventional drives is much higher than for SSDs, at least as of my typing this message.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 Porthos

Porthos

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

I personally will never have any of my computers without a SSD as a system drive.

#13 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:46 AM

Thank you for all your replies; all comments noted.

#14 monkeylove

monkeylove

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

Yes, because the SSD is not that cheap in terms of storage space, and some tend to need more space for programs, data files, etc.

In my case, I used an SSD for the OS and a few programs and a regular HD for additional software, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users