Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 keeps rebooting itself on the Log-In Screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cobra!

Cobra!

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

I'm having a problem with Windows 7 on a custom PC that I just built a few weeks ago.

I have installed both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04 on it, both of which have a plethora of problems with the PC.

Windows 7 was working fine for a while, until today, when it started rebooting itself on the login screen.

It starts up like normal, and asks for my password, once I put it in, I get the usual "Please Wait..." message for 5-10 seconds, until it goes black, and it restarts itself.

I have tried booting into safe mode, and restoring to a restore point (Which was from the night before), that didn't fix it, I tried following this this tutorial, but on "Startup Repair", it said that it didn't detect any problems, and all of the files in "CD \windows\system32\config\RegBack", were 0 bytes, which means I couldn't proceed that that tutorial, according to the tutorial itself.

I tried running a Memory Test, but as it turns out, I needed to fully log in and boot into Windows 7 to see the results...

The only thing I did to the PC the day before was ripping some CDs and installing some games, so I doubt any of those would have caused this problem.

Ubuntu has a lot of problems with the PC as of right now, but it at least boots up, displays correctly, and the functions that do work, continue to do so, so it can't be a hardware problem.

What do I do?

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2017 - 12:10 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Crashes BSODs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

The only common item that I can imagine as a problem with both Ubuntu and Windows...would be a hard drive problem, if both O/Ses are installed on the same drive.

If these circumstances fit my system...I would run a hard drive diagnostic in order to assess the functional state of the hard drive.

Louis

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

I have tried booting into safe mode, and restoring to a restore point

When you boot into Safe Mode, does the computer run normally for a long time without any problems or restarts?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Cobra!

Cobra!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

The only common item that I can imagine as a problem with both Ubuntu and Windows...would be a hard drive problem, if both O/Ses are installed on the same drive.

If these circumstances fit my system...I would run a hard drive diagnostic in order to assess the functional state of the hard drive.

Louis

Both OSes are installed on the same hard drive.

I have tried booting into safe mode, and restoring to a restore point

When you boot into Safe Mode, does the computer run normally for a long time without any problems or restarts?

I tried booting into safe mode again, and from the get go, I get an message saying that windows "has recovered from an unexpected shutdown", here are the details from said message:

6a0e0f1080534b5a9048a6ecb327b73d.png
(The last file listed just has a missing "l", it's an xml file.)

Other than that, I get no problems or restarts.

Edited by Cobra!, 18 March 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#5 Cobra!

Cobra!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

I just realised something: I also installed Visual Studio 2015 the night before, and when I tried to uninstall that to see if it was the problem, I got an error saying components weren't installed properly, so I think I'm getting somewhere now. However, when I try to "repair" or reinstall it, I also get errors...

UPDATE: I uninstalled Visual Studio, and now I just get this when I try to log in to Windows 7.

7d4ebd92e370478db3b3571b0810af7f.jpg

UPDATE 2: I just tried "chkdsk", which usually fixed these kinds of problems, but it actually somehow made it worse, now it doesn't even boot in safe mode. I'm left with no choice but to entirely reinstall Windows...

Edited by Cobra!, 18 March 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Please try to comlete the following:  BC BSODs Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/ .

Louis

#7 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

Cobra! Just a thought. You said something to the effect that you picked the only restore point offered.

If you can get back in (safe mode). Look at the bottom left in the dialog box and check the box that say's "show more restore points".

You might have other choices. I would choose a restore point made before VS was installed.

Good luck.

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

At this point, it is possible that you have a hardware problem as opposed to a software problem since you get the BSOD in safe mode as well as normal boot. I suggest eliminating that possibility first before tearing in to your operating system.

Try to boot into the BIOS screen; let me know if you can or not.

Test Memory: I am suggesting Memtest 86+ which will test your memory: if you have multiple sticks, test one at a time, do not test multiple sticks at the same time. This will run whether Windows is booted or not.

>  Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

>  Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.
>
  If you have multiple sticks, test only one (1) stick at a time

Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

If Memtest will not run or you get error messages, let me know.

There is no need to run the test multiple times on the same stick, one complete pass is sufficient.

Next, test your hard drive or SSD. This test will by-pass Windows and run from DOS.

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

> Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
> When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
> Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
> Insert the CD in your optical drive and reboot.
> When the screen opens, you will see all the operating drives in your computer.
    Hilight the one that you want to use, the others will be ignored.
> Click the upper left corner for the Short Test. If the Short Test indicates your drive has failed, try again with the Long Test.Then try the short test again.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Edited by ranchhand_, 18 March 2017 - 07:03 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 Cobra!

Cobra!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

I ended up having to reinstall Windows, scrubbing the partition, and now it boots up, for now...

#10 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

Sorry to hear that. But hopefully you'll end up with a working system.

Good luck. 

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#11 Cobra!

Cobra!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:19 AM

Well, it's only been a week, and the problem has returned.... what do I do now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users