Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotel wifi access to captive portal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cheifhoho

cheifhoho

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

Hi,

I am working on a hotel wifi system and need to find a way to route all wifi connections to the companies access landing page, or captive portal. How can I configure a router to send traffic to the server ip address? Do I need a router that has captive portal technology, or can I route all connections to the server address another way? (currently using a Cisco RVS4000 router as gateway to access internet)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

why don't you talk to the hotel IT dept and they can tell you want you need to know.

you may need a vpn between your router and theirs for their captive portal to work or you need one in the local router you will install.

#3 laertib

laertib

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:40 PM

Hello

I run a Wireless ISP but also doing large scale installation in Hotels, restaurants, complexes etc.

In your case you can use Cisco or I will recommend a cheaper solution Mikrotik Routerboard to do that.

In order to setup with Mikrotik you should:

a) enable local captive portal

B) give access to unauthenticated guests to the hotel's external portal domains/host (walled garden)

After setting up captive portal: 

a) you should edit login.html and redirect to the external portal page (html redirection)

c) you should find a way to put an authentication part (html code) to be sent back to router in order to give access to the end user.

Take a look here: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/HotSpot_external_login_page 

For simple hotel captive portals, we are using Waver SmartOne WAC52N router.

It has a lot portal customization features and advanced guest user management capabilities.

It also can give access with predefined usernames and passwords or use personal guest data for authentication (email, facebook login, sms login)

You can set it up in minutes without any special skills and the manager can use user data for marketing purposes (Like Merry Christmas) :)

Hope I helped

Edited by laertib, 02 December 2017 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users