Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oh! No, It Crashed Again.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 cute0206

cute0206

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:44 AM

just when i thought it was fixed, the laptop crashed again. however, this time, i did retrieve the message in the blue window during the crash.
it reads as follows:
Check to be sure you have adquate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vender for any bio update. Disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.
Technical information:
***stop: OX0000008E(OXC0000006,OX804E40E8,OX8054FF98,OX00000000)
Beginning dump of physical memory, physical memory dump complete. contact your administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

guys, i truly have no idea exactly what i should do due to my lack of knowledge on pcs. please advise!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:34 AM

hi, cute0206,

intermittant faults like this can sometimes be due to faulty memory. can you download 'memtest86' and run a check on your ram. if it passes, at least then it can be discounted!

http://www.memtest86.com/

you will need a blank floppy, or cd, depending what version you download.

good luck

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:12 AM

How much hard drive space do you have left free on your hard drive?
To check, click your "My computer" icon on your screen and choose "Properties".

Open your device manager and see if there are any yellow or red warning icons in any of the catagories - particularly in the video catagory.
To open the device manager go to the control panel, click on "System", click the "hardware" tab, and then click "Device Manager".

If you see any yellow or red warning update the drivers.

If not, reboot into safe mode and choose "Last Known Good Configuration".

Let us know.

#4 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:31 AM

local disk(C:) free space 24.7GB, which still leaves it plenty of room, i think.
and i don't see any red or yellow warning in device manager(or define red ,yellow warning for me please)
i'm in the safe mode right now since rebooting back to normal mode without crashing is out of question at this moment.
does the "technical information" line in the blue window message i provided above give you any clue? what do those numbers mean?
sorry about the questions, it's just so frustrating..

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:52 AM

Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing.

STOP messages (BSODs) are recorded in the eventlog.
Type eventvwr.msc from the RUN box (start/run) and click on
'system' . The events are in the right hand pane, newest
at the top. Click on the events for more information and post it here. If the error mentions a file, tell us that file's name.

Do you have more than one stick of ram? Did you run the ram test?

How big is the entire hard drive? You need 15 percent free space on the hard drive for Windows to function properly, so the 24.7GB only gives us half the answer. (EX: If you had a 300gb hd it wouldn't be enough)

The fact that you are not getting the error stop message in safe mode means that whatever (probably driver or device but most likely a driver) is causing the error on regular boot is not loading.

Lets try this just for the heck of it:
Windows doesn't load the full drivers for your video card on safe mode - it just loads Windows VGA drivers -that's why it looks different.
(Probably preferable -you could also load safe mode with networking and go to the video device's manufacturer to get the latest driver - download it and save it to where you will be able to find it - to navigate to it once you are in the update driver mode)

Upgrade your video driver by going to the device nmanager. If no update is available do a rollback - just get a different one than the one you have installed.

Yellow or red warning icon means a definately identifiable red or yellow question mark or exclamation point. If you had one you would definately be aware of it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 September 2006 - 04:55 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:10 AM

I presume that there was no file name mentioned in the BSOD STOP message. Is this so?

If so, here's a link for more info: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x8e

This states that it's a hardware compatibility issue. Did you recently add/change/remove any hardware from your system? If so, try updating the drivers for that.

Otherwise, it's a long process to update all of your drivers. Here's my suggested sequence:

Windows Update
Motherboard/chipset drivers
video drivers
sound drivers
Network card drivers
any other hardware devices built into the motherboard
any other hardware devices plugged into the motherboard
any USB or 1394 devices plugged into the computer.
any other drivers that I didn't think of! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

this is no good, my laptop crashed twice even in safe mode earlier. hopefully i'll get thru this message before it crashes again.
in the event viewer, there're numerous errors with sources such as, DCOM(description: DCOM got error "this service cannot be started in safe mode"attempting to start the service Stisvc with arguments.)
Service Control manager(description: the following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load---Avg7core, Avg7RsW,Avg7RsXp,Fips, intelppm)

there were a couple of others, let me know if the above indicates anything.
and yes, i have more than 15% free disk space as i have a 40GB notebook.
i was thinking about sending it to a repair shop, but it's a holiday weekend, everything is closed. i really like this site coz you guys helped me fix the "search assistant" virus more than a year ago. let me post this message first since it can crash on me anytime.

#8 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:19 PM

i don't recall adding any hardware lately, do you guys think it might be a virus rather than driver problem?

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

It is possible.

Part of what you are seeing now is because safe mode loads with limited drivers.

"Service Control manager(description: the following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load---Avg7core, Avg7RsW,Avg7RsXp,Fips, intelppm)"

Avg7 is your anti-virus ap
Fips must be part of a program you have installed that involves or uses Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS)

The intelppm my be a clue:

You receive a "STOP 0x000000D1" error message on your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based portable computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=888399

Read the above and see if anything there is applicable to what you are experiencing.

#10 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

it does apply to me. i did take out the battery and let it use AC, but the crash happened even before i did so. i was just afraid the battery got so hot that it was gonna burn my notebook.
i posted the blue window message which doesn't include "OX000000D1" error,
instead, it's OX0000008E.

#11 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:57 PM

i followed the instruction and it is using the intelppm.sys driver.

#12 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:41 PM

just figured i need to post more event log error info to help identify the problem.
system error (description: error code: 1000000a, parameter 1 ffefff6b, parameter 2 00000002, parameter 3 00000000, parameter 4 804dbe7b
Service control manager (description:the mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error: system can not find the file specified.)
Dhcp (description: you computer had lost its lease to its IP address....on the network card....with network addresss.....)

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

Read the following about mrtRate
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboar...rum/100018.html

The network card issue should resolve with a reboot of your cable/dsl modem, router, and the wireless connection on your computer.

Did the fixes on the MS page help anything?

here's some info on the 1000000a error code.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q314063

#14 cute0206

cute0206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

unfortunately, the MS link doesn't help much, all it does is to help me determine if i'm using the right driver with its svcpack2, and i'm using the right one. i guess we're almost out of solutions here:-( there's no software that can actually scan and fix exactly what went wrong in a situation like this?

Edited by cute0206, 04 September 2006 - 04:03 PM.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

there's no software that can actually scan and fix exactly what went wrong in a situation like this?

Yes, but you do not have it.
A Windows XP installation cd which would enable you to do a repair installation or a complete fresh installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users