Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add administrator to W10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 waltdaniels

waltdaniels

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

I am the only user on my W10, I am labeled as local user and administrator.

But several fixes I have tried say I must have an Administrator .

How do I establish one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

If you are already a user who has administrator privileges that should be enough.

That being said, having admin privileges does not mean that the things that you run will be automatically elevated to admin privilege when started.  When you get the message it's probably telling you to use the "Run as Administrator" option, which you can do by right-clicking on the thing you're trying to run and choosing "Run as Administrator" from the pop-up context menu.  

I have never seen anything that requires the actual Administrator account to be activated and doing so is generally discouraged (and with good reason).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 waltdaniels

waltdaniels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the help, I will try it next time!

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hopefully you don't have one of the programs that requires the Administrative account actually be the Administrator account, there are some out there where administrative rights aren't enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users