Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgotten Windows Password

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John H Nolen

John H Nolen

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

I have used the Windows password to open Microsoft Account on my 64bit computer. When I try to use it on my 32bit laptop, Windows says it is the wrong password. How can I recover the Windows password?

Edited by Al1000, 20 March 2017 - 09:41 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

As a theoretical excursion, I would be curious what versions of Windows are you running on each machine. Also, just out of a philosophical curiosity, I would also wonder if you have the original installation media for the locked computer because you may need to perform a clean install of Windows.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

To add to the mix, one's password under Windows and one's Microsoft Account password need not match.  Mine do not.

Once a given Windows Account is linked to a given Microsoft account one can change the password on one, the other, or both and that connection is still maintained.  I changed the password on my Microsoft Account months after setting up my Windows 10 computer using the same e-mail address as the basis for my Windows Account that's linked to my Microsoft Account, but have never changed the password to the Windows Account itself.

You need to be certain that you know the password that is currently being used for your Microsoft Account on the Microsoft website when you initially attempt to set up a Windows Account that is to be linked to that Microsoft Account.  Most times what one does is use the same password when setting up the Windows Account that links to it, but if you're smart you then promptly change the Windows Account password so that these two accounts do not use the same password.  Once the link between them has been established it remains.  (This is not all that different than the link between an eBay and PayPal account, if you use those.  Once that connection is established changing the password on either account does not break that connection.)

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 John H Nolen

John H Nolen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:30 AM

The 64bit and 32bit computers were upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I do not have the original instillation disks.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

If Microsoft can't help you then we really can't help you either because of rules and ethics. Sorry.

Good luck.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

John,

Have you logged in to your Microsoft Account, on the Microsoft Website, using a specific password?   If so, this is your Microsoft Account password.

It sounds like you have logged in to your 64-bit machine using a Windows 10 account that's linked to your Microsoft account, and that probably shares the same e-mail address and password.  That e-mail address and password are specific to Windows 10 on that machine.  If you changed your Windows 10 password it would not change your Microsoft Account password (and vice versa).

It's clear that your Windows account password on the 32-bit machine does not match that on your 64-bit machine nor on your Microsoft Account.  If you did not set up a password hint that helps you to remember what you used, or create a password reset disc/USB for the machine that's giving you issues before the fact, you are likely stuck.

I would suggest taking a look at this article at HowToGeek on resetting your password and/or working around the inability to do so.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users