Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Routine Security Check?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Magilou

Magilou

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

Hello forum ^^

Just a question:

What is a good routine security check?

Personally I tend to run a Malwarebyte full scan once per week

With Routine check I mean something not active h24 like antivirus and firewall, that's mandatory, I mean something that You do once per week to be somewhat like 99% sure to be completely cleanWh

at do You recommend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:40 AM

Recently, I downloaded some 70 known malware samples from a bunch of different places on the internet to test the detection ratio of different on demand malware scanners. My results, sorted by detection ratio(Highest to lowest) were like this:

Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Zemana AntiMalware
Hitman Pro
Norton Power Eraser
SuperAntiSpyware
MalwareBytes

MalwareBytes never did good in my tests & there are various YouTube videos online performing similar tests which are in line with the results I've found. There are some others like SecureAPlus which has an even higher detection ratio than Emsisoft Emergency Kit but is also high on false positives. In my opinion, you should use Emsisoft Emergency Kit as a secondary scanner along with your antivirus. It's free & portable meaning it can also run off a USB drive.

Edited by downloaderfan, 18 March 2017 - 06:44 AM.

#3 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

Recently, I downloaded some 70 known malware samples from a bunch of different places on the internet to test the detection ratio of different on demand malware scanners. My results, sorted by detection ratio(Highest to lowest) were like this:

Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Zemana AntiMalware
Hitman Pro
Norton Power Eraser
SuperAntiSpyware
MalwareBytes

MalwareBytes never did good in my tests & there are various YouTube videos online performing similar tests which are in line with the results I've found. There are some others like SecureAPlus which has an even higher detection ratio than Emsisoft Emergency Kit but is also high on false positives. In my opinion, you should use Emsisoft Emergency Kit as a secondary scanner along with your antivirus. It's free & portable meaning it can also run off a USB drive.

OK after Malwarebytes I decided to run Emsisoft too, still 0 results, should I consider myself clean?

Any other software that could scan something that both Emsisoft, Malwarebytes and regular antivirus/firewall could have missed?

#4 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Any other software that could scan something that both Emsisoft, Malwarebytes and regular antivirus/firewall could have missed?

Beyond this point, there is very little room for a malware scanner to be objectively better against all kind of malwares than any other malware scanner without picking significant false positives. There is no objective Yes/No answer to your question as far as I know.

OK after Malwarebytes I decided to run Emsisoft too, still 0 results, should I consider myself clean?

Unless you have done anything to be targeted specifically by the CIA/NSA, the answer is usually a Yes.

#5 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

Beyond this point, there is very little room for a malware scanner to be objectively better against all kind of malwares than any other malware scanner without picking significant false positives. There is no objective Yes/No answer to your question as far as I know.

Unless you have done anything to be targeted specifically by the CIA/NSA, the answer is usually a Yes.

Oh well, then this means I will keep running emsi and malwarebytes periodically (once per week) just to be safe

Glad I added another important software to the security checks ^^

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:20 AM

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools to supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion::

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

Dear Quietman,

Maybe I am just an idiot for asking this, but I will try anyway:

As far as I can see Malwayre tools like malwarebytes, emsisoft etc, are made to remove Malware and often do not search for the other kind of infections that, instead, an antivirus actually search for

My question is: is there a software like emsisoft or malwarebytes that actually search for the same definitions of a regular antivirus but actually it's just portable like emsisoft in example? (like avira, kaspersky, nod32 etc etc)

I hope my question is clear enough, sorry for lack of explaination skills

Or my questions is simply pointless because after, in example, scanning with many portable software (in example the one You listed) and the PC results clean another scan with an Antivirus (the one I mentioned) will be just a waste oif time? Or actually thoise antivirus software have completely different definitions and scans for things that those portable software are not designed to scan?

Edited by Magilou, 20 March 2017 - 08:47 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:55 AM

You ask a common question for which many folks are often confused about. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

#9 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

You ask a common question for which many folks are often confused about. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Oh okok I see, so there is no way to have like a Portable USB drive that can serve as a "potentially" full cleaner without installing an antivirus on a specific machine, I mean I can run emsisoft, malwarebytes and all the other good stuffs, but in the end I should always install phisically on that machine an antivirus and run it, no way to make it Portable right?

#10 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

Oh okok I see, so there is no way to have like a Portable USB drive that can serve as a "potentially" full cleaner without installing an antivirus on a specific machine, I mean I can run emsisoft, malwarebytes and all the other good stuffs, but in the end I should always install phisically on that machine an antivirus and run it, no way to make it Portable right?

You could use something like Kaspersky Rescue Disk on a USB to boot into it's secure operating system & disinfect windows malware. Since your not disinfecting from within the windows environment, any active windows malware won't be able to interfere with the scanning & disinfection process. 

Edited by downloaderfan, 20 March 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#11 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Zemana AntiMalware
Hitman Pro
Norton Power Eraser
SuperAntiSpyware
MalwareBytes

Another reason why many here recommend going with a traditional AV and malwarebytes.  Malwarebytes isn't designed to be a right-click scan anti-malware or a/v program.   Its designed to catch the latest threats to your PC.  That's the main reason why its not on av-comparatives.  I believe any free anti-virus program and malwarebytes will suffice.   That gives you two layers and that's always better than one.   Also, nothing is ever a sure thing though.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

Oh okok I see, so there is no way to have like a Portable USB drive that can serve as a "potentially" full cleaner without installing an antivirus on a specific machine...

You could use ClamWin Portable.

#13 Magilou

Magilou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

Oh okok I see, so there is no way to have like a Portable USB drive that can serve as a "potentially" full cleaner without installing an antivirus on a specific machine...

You could use ClamWin Portable.

Sorry for another silly question: how does this ClamWin stands in comparison with the recognition rate of softwares like, Avira, Kaspersky, Avast (just to mention some of the most famous ones)

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

ClamWin Free Anti-virus (based on ClamAV engine) is useful if you want something non-intrusive or portable on a USB/removable drives. ClamWin does not include an on-access real-time scanner to automatically scan your computer or scan files as you download them. That means you have to schedule a scan of your system or manually click on a file to scan it individually in order to detect any malware. ClamAV for Windows is a cloud-based anti-virus software similar to Panda Cloud Anti-virus except it is open source.I would say that ClamWin is comparable to other free anti-virus solutions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users