Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is {FE8D473A-6F06-4F99-B5F4-BED72B2A038C}

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cochrane2017GB

Cochrane2017GB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Hi

Can anyone help me with this one please?

I have been using TreeSize to locate and free up space on my C: drive. I found a folder named {FE8D473A-6F06-4F99-B5F4-BED72B2A038C} with 1 file in it {D3742F2-1C1A-4DCC-ABBD-0E31C0185CC}.msi. I haven't been able to find much about these other than they may be a virus or similar. I done a complete anti-virus scan (Kaspersky) and a complete malware scan (Malwarebytes) and nothing untoward has shown up. The folder/file size is 27.6MB and there a 2 similar folders with long filenames but these are much small - 1.9KB and 3.6KB respectively.

I am running Windows 7.

I would be grateful for any advice on these folders/files and if they have to be deleted/unistalled, how best to do this.

Thanks

G

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2017 - 04:44 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

Looks like it may be a remnant of a windows update.

Where are these files located?

Edited by Steven_M, 17 March 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#3 Cochrane2017GB

Cochrane2017GB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

Hi Steven

They are located at C:\ProgramData

G

#4 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Sorry for the late response.

If they're just bundled into ProgramData and not in an actual folder within it then they''re most likely junk files.

I don't think they're anything malicious. Given their location they won't effect anything important if you were to delete them but they're small files anyway so removing or keeping them it's not going to change much anyway.

Before I remove anything that I'm unsure about I'll take a quick backup copy before deleting just in case any problems arise after removing them. Always better safe than sorry.

Edited by Steven_M, 17 March 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#5 Cochrane2017GB

Cochrane2017GB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Hi Steven

Thanks for that. I've made a backup as you recommended and deleted them although doing so doesn't seem to have freed up that much space.

Thanks again

G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users