Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wired LAN not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adam_s05

adam_s05

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:03 AM

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and am perplexed by an issue I'm having.

A while back I moved my desktop computer and no longer had access to ethernet so I just used wifi to connect to my router. I finally got around to running a new ethernet cable and now my ethernet no longer works. It just says "unidentified network" and has no connectivity. I checked on the router and it doesn't register anything on it. I tried using a static ip address, which didn't work any better. I then took my old Toughbook to make sure all me ethernet infrastructure was working, my Toughbook has no problem connecting to the network and internet using the same cables. My next step was I booted up into a live Linux mint cd to see if it was a driver issue with windows (The problem PC is running windows 10 btw) same issue was present. Next, I took my Toughbook and placed it where my router is to create a direct network between the problem PC and the toughbook. Both PCs had no problem networking between each other. My router is a combination modem/router from my internet service provider, I figured maybe there is something on its end that is preventing a connection, as I couldn't find any issue with it I performed a factory reset on it, I also tried different ports on it. As you can guess, it didn't help.

I'm kind of lost as to what the problem could be, any help would be great.

I'm using the Mobo built in ethernet adapter.

Thanks.

Problem pc:
Windows 10 (fully updated)
Mobo Asus z97 pro gamer
CPU Intel 4790K

My network router/modem is a PACE 5168N

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

You say you ran a new network cable.  Did you use A or B standard for the pin outs at the ends?

Lets see the results of a ipconfig/all for review

#3 adam_s05

adam_s05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

I used the A standard for the pins.

Also, one thing to note is I moved my router to where my pc is to test it with just a short patch cable and the same issue happened.

Attached Files

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

If you go to Device Manager and the expand the networking section are their any exclamation points?

Your wifi adapter isn't showing in the ipconfig.  Did you disable it?

Follow this articles manual procedure to reset your tcp/ip stack

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility

#5 adam_s05

adam_s05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:34 AM

If you go to Device Manager and the expand the networking section are their any exclamation points?

Your wifi adapter isn't showing in the ipconfig.  Did you disable it?

Follow this articles manual procedure to reset your tcp/ip stack

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility

Yes, I disabled my wifi, since it's simply a usb wifi adapter I just unplugged it. When I go to device manager there is no network devices, or any devices, that have exclamation points. I followed the link and ran the software from the website with no change

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

Have you tried using a prebuilt cable not home made cable?

Delete all the devices under Network in Device manager and then reboot the system so windows rebuilds the list.

Next see if there is a updated win10 driver for your intel Ethernet device.

#7 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hello

This description has helped me quite a few times when I struggle with the dreaded (preferred) 169.254 address thing

http://lyngtinh.blogspot.no/2011/12/how-to-disable-autoconfiguration-ipv4.html

Note: you need to run the CMD prompt as admin and also you dont disable the dhcp client service. just stop it and then reboot

HTH!

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users