Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi connected but no Internet access - very frustrating!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Superdv

Superdv

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

Sorry - think this post was on the wrong forum.  Don't know how to delete it so have copied the content to (hopefully!) the correct forum

Sorry - forgot to say also that my computer has a funny IP address (169.254...) which I understand is a Windows default IP when there is a problem

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2017 - 12:53 PM.
Merged topics/posts - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Superdv

Superdv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:21 AM

I was happily browsing the net a couple of evenings ago when suddenly all my sites became unreachable.  On checking the wifi connection it is showing full WiFi connection but with the message 'No Internet access'.

My husband's computer is working fine on the same router & network & I have installed a USB WiFi dongle on my machine which is working fine.  So it is not the router.

I have searched the net & tried everything I can find but nothing has solved the problem.

My machine is running Windows 7 & I have tried (among other things):

Re-booting the router

Dis-abling & re-enabling the network adaptor

Updating the drivers

Checking that the IP4 & IP6 are obtaining addresses automatically

Run an IP flush etc etc

My computer is also showing an 'odd' IP address (169.254...) which I understand is a Windows default IP for when there is some problem. Reading about the problem it appears that there is some problem with DHCP but no-one seems to be able to tell me how to deal with it.

Can anyone here help?

#3 shicomu

shicomu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

try both an dns flush and a winsock reset  ( ipconfig /flushdns  and  netsh winsock reset )  ; that does the trick quite often.. ;) 

#4 Superdv

Superdv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

Hi

Many thanks but I've already tried these, too.  I have just done them again to be sure... & still nothing :(

I forgot to mention that it also stating 'Unidentified Network' as well as 'No internet access'

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

Have you tried forcing your machine to forget that network and setting it up again from scratch?   I've had that work when a single machine suddenly just won't connect to the wireless network it's been connecting to flawlessly for an extended period of time.

I've also, in the most extreme cases (which have been two over the course of many, many years), reset the router to its defaults and set up a brand new WiFi network.  This presumes, of course, that one has not accepted the WiFi settings that are the default (but it is possible it could work even then.  I never leave SSIDs nor passwords at cryptic defaults; I want something that I or my client will recognize and remember that's not likely to be guessable by an outsider).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 Superdv

Superdv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hi Brian.  Very many thanks for this suggestion.  We've got a bit of a busy weekend here so will try this when I get a chance!

#7 Superdv

Superdv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Hi Brian.  I've done the above but, sadly, still no go

Research has suggested I try releasing & renewing the IP address using the command prompt but when I try this, I get a message saying that it cannot be done while it has some media disconnected.  Haven't a clue what media it's on about....  Any ideas?

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

Media is the "connection" to the other end of wifi or Ethernet.

Look the physical Ethernet port and make sure you have no bent/crossed pins/dust

Try a different  network cable

Try a different lan port in the router

Come up in safe mode with networking and see if networking works

#9 Trunks2017

Trunks2017

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

It's a probably a problem with your internet service provider, it happens to me when I don't pay the monthly subscription haha.

#10 elizbethsewell666

elizbethsewell666

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:04 AM

May be the is issue form service provider, You should contact your service provider.

#11 Ryan_Aquino

Ryan_Aquino

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:19 AM

Reset your modem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users