Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista in bad shape

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twinkat007

twinkat007

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:37 AM

I have a desktop pc running Vista and have done something to cause problems. Everything from not starting to running slow and not being able to connect to the internet. Is the somewhere I can view a Vista registry and the services to see how things should read. I was messing with that stuff and guess I should not have. I really need some help now. Please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

There is an important lesson here - if in doubt, don't !  However as a first step toward repairing your problems I would try the SFC /Scannow command. This will attempt to repair corrupted Windows files. If you have never done this before, here's how -

Click on the start orb then type 'cmd' (from here on, don't type in the ' ' in any command) into the search box. This should produce an entry 'cmd.exe'. RIGHT click on this and select 'Run as administrator' from the pop up menu that appears. This will produce a black screen with white text and a blinking prompt. Type 'SFC /Scannow' at the prompt (note there is a space between SFC and /Scannow) then press the enter key. SFC will now run. Now go and read a book, have a cuppa , a beer, whatever takes your fancy this can take upto 45 minutes or so to run depending on your system.

Do NOT interrupt the process and when it is finished re-boot and see if things are any better. If there is no improvement, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

#3 twinkat007

twinkat007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:15 PM

Thank you Chris. I will give that a try.
Kathy

#4 twinkat007

twinkat007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:27 AM

HI Chris.  I did that and when it was done it said:

Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations.

Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

For example C:windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

Then I think it said some other stuff but don't remember.

I did the type command for the log and it was a billion characters long

and too fast to read.  i was going to go back and do the print but decided

it was too long to print. Thought about the /p but figured I wouldn't

understand it anyhow.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kathy

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

I had hoped that this would fix the problems, but no such luck. The next simple thing to try is a 'System restore', I am reasonably sure that Vista contains this feature.

Click 'Start orb - Control panel - Recovery'. If you don't see 'Recovery' when you click on 'Control panel' go to the top right of the screen and select 'View by small icons'. This is in any case a much finer grained view than the default.

Then click on 'Open system restore'. This will bring up a box which may only list your latest restore point. If this dates from before your problems started, well and good, but if your problem goes back further than this there is a button 'Other restore points' which will bring up a list of all the available ones. Choose the latest one from before the start of these problems and click next. then 'Start process' and accept the couple of warnings you will get and let it run. This is a quicker process than SFC, should not take much more than ten minutes if that long.

When it has finished, re-boot and see if things are back to normal. If they are not, post back and I will get someone else to have a look at this problem.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away on holiday until the 13th May. While I expect to have internet access my time on-line may well be limited and PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users