Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to download / upload / save any photos, files, documents from internet.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tashalynn

tashalynn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

Hello,

Running Windows 10 on an HP Omni220 PC. Problem occurs with multiple web browsers: Chrome, Mozilla, Explorer, Edge. 

I cannot download, upload or save ANYTHING from the internet. I have tried multiple steps to try to resolve myself first, but after 3 weeks I am going crazy!   :smash:

More details: I DO NOT receive any error messages. For example, I receive an attachment in my Gmail, I click the link to download and absolutely nothing happens. No error message, no loading, no indication of an attempt at downloading. OR I go to Google images and right click an image to "Save As" and nothing happens. I also have tried to save my own images from my personal website, nothing. I go to a website such as picmonkey.com, craigslist or Gmail, I click the link to upload an image or document, nothing happens.

A few weeks ago I had to relocate my computer. I properly shut it down. Once it was completely shut down, I unplugged, moved to another side of the room, plugged back in and turned on. I did notice it was "Updating" upon reboot. I did not pay much attention to it as I was rearranging my office while it was doing so. Later on I attempted to save an image from the internet and that's when the problem occurred.

I have tried the following with no resolve:

• performed a virus scan with Window Defender & a scan with Malwarebytes - nothing found
  • temporarily turned off firewall
  • booted in Safe Mode
  • confirmed download folder is correct
  • checked internet options and ensured "file download" enabled
  • removed all personal files to a backup drive (which was not many as I just purchased this used computer 2 months ago and started from scratch)
  • attempted to reset Windows 10 completely and start new, but tried 3 times and continued to get stuck on the blue screen with error message. I select Reset this PC" > Remove everything on C drive > "just remove my files" > then I wait for a while while it says "Resetting this pc __%" after it reaches 100% instead of installing Windows I get the error message "There was a problem resetting your PC."

I might've tried a couple more things but cannot recall at the moment. I have searched multiple forums and still cannot resolve.

Your help is much appreciated!

Edited by tashalynn, 17 March 2017 - 03:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:19 AM

What did the error message say on the blue screen when you were trying to reset Win 10?

Have you run a DISM yet?

If not, right click on start and select 'command prompt as admin'.

Copy and paste the following in the cmd box where the cursor is flashing and press enter.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

May take a while to run.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,474 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

I would suggest waiting for the answer to what the error message was.

By the way, when you run the Command prompt you need to run from an administrator account.  There is a much simpler way to open the Command Prompt as an administrator...

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select Command Prompt (Admin.)

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 tashalynn

tashalynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

Thank you for quick replies. I have not tired a DISM yet, I will asap today! And thank you for tip for running as admin.

As far as error resetting Windows 10. I select Reset this PC" > Remove everything on C drive > "just remove my files" > then I wait for a while while it says "Resetting this pc __%" after it reaches 100% instead of installing Windows I get the error message "There was a problem resetting your PC."  (Updated original post with info.)

Edited by tashalynn, 17 March 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,474 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:23 AM

I had hoped that you would post the error message which Opera requested.  These error message can shed light on what is going on.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

I would suggest waiting for the answer to what the error message was.

By the way, when you run the Command prompt you need to run from an administrator account.  There is a much simpler way to open the Command Prompt as an administrator...

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select Command Prompt (Admin.)

Perhaps you misread my post (or you haven't done it the really easy way before)

Just right-click on Start and select cmd prompt as admin.

I mean.. what could be simpler than that?

#7 tashalynn

tashalynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:37 PM

Opera - I have ran a DISM now. I get the following: 

"Error: 1726

The remote procedure call failed.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

DC3 - As far as downloading Speccy... I am unable to download anything at all on this computer. I will try to download Speccy on another computer to an external usb drive, then attempt to move the file from the usb drive to this computer and let you know results after.

Edited by tashalynn, 17 March 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

Just as a note, I always run SFC prior to DISM.  This may or may not work to fix your problem, but if you're getting errors from SFC and DISM both then I'd consider doing a Reset.

----------------------

Fixing “Weird Issues” under Windows 8 or Windows 10 Using the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management (DISM)

If you are having "weird problems" with any Windows system, the first thing you should do is to run the System File Checker (SFC).  Open a Command Prompt window using the "Run as Administrator" option.  The easiest way to do this is to hit the Windows Key, immediately enter the text “Command Prompt” and getting the Command Prompt desktop app returned as the first item.  Gain focus on it and bring up the context menu either via right click or hitting the menu/applications key [if your machine has one] or Shift+F10 if it does not then selecting “Run as administrator” from the context menu that appears.  Once that elevated command prompt window is opened, enter:

SFC /scannow

When it's finished look at its output to see if it found any corrupt files and whether it was able to fix them.

If SFC reports that it was unable to fix something, on Windows 8 and Windows 10 systems it's also worth running the following command, also in a Command Prompt window that's been opened with "Run as Adminstrator":

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

DISM should be able to fix errors that SFC may not be able to fix.  If you wish to be really thorough, after running DISM, and presuming it reports that all has been fixed, shutdown and restart your machine and run SFC one final time.  The SFC result should be clean.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 tashalynn

tashalynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

Britechguy - I attempted running SFC /scannow and immediately returned the following: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

I am open to doing a complete reset, as I have no documents or personal files on this computer. Now, how do I get through the "Reset PC" option without hitting the blue screen error "There was a problem resetting your PC"?

Also, I received this computer used 2 months ago. It already had Windows 10 installed. The guy I purchased it from does not have a product key for me to reinstall if needed. Not sure if this matters or not.

#10 tashalynn

tashalynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

(I've updated the error message I receive when trying to "reset pc", see original post.)

Computer is an HP Omni220-1125 PC.

Here is the link to the Speccy log - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/t7A5z8KFPYZUVWAqyUQTMaT

I had hoped that you would post the error message which Opera requested.  These error message can shed light on what is going on.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by tashalynn, 17 March 2017 - 04:07 PM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

tashalynn,

Given the number of things that are "hosed" on your system and the fact that you have the luxury at this point of starting from scratch I would very strongly suggest that you create installation media for Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool (obviously, use a working machine to do this) or you might want to try the Update Now button on that page for the machine that's acting crazy as a first step before creating the media.

If Windows 10 has ever been installed (legally, that is, and I have no reason to believe it would not have been) on a machine it can be completely wiped and Windows 10 reinstalled from scratch without needing a license key.   Windows 10 is licensed based on the actual hardware signature of the machine it was installed on and a record of that is kept on Microsoft's servers.  If a machine with a valid "signature" tries to install Windows 10 from scratch the license key is simply retrieved silently as part of the process and you are never asked to enter it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 tashalynn

tashalynn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Okay, I finally successfully installed Windows 10 from bootable usb. A fresh install resolved my problem!!

Now when it asked for product key, I skipped that step. I purchased this counter used a couple months ago from CL. That guy never gave me a product key. When I asked for it to do clean install, he said he didn't have that as did free upgrade on conputer when he owned it. If it properly installed, am I good to go?

I am thinking I must've had a virus or malware that wasn't being detected. I will go through the forums and see best way to protect against this in the future.

Edited by tashalynn, 22 March 2017 - 08:24 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,823 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

You should be good to go.

If Windows 10 has ever been legally installed on a given machine (and that would include the upgrade from Win7 or Win8/8.1) you do not ever need to supply a product key again if you choose to reinstall Windows 10 (and that's even if you did something such as wiping the machine and installing Linux).

Windows 10 is licensed based upon the computer's motherboard and a record is kept on Microsoft's servers of all machines licensed in case a reinstall should be needed for any reason.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,474 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

If they did the free upgrade to Windows 10 the computer would have to be activated for the previous version of Windows.  Once Windows 10 is installed the product key assigned to this is digitally recorded by Microsoft.  This means that if you do a fresh install of Windows 10 using the same version's installation media the product code will automatically be recognized.

As for protecting the computer from infections.  Windows 10 comes with Home Defender which is a full blown antivirus which is already enabled.  The only practical way you can disable this would be to install another antivirus, Microsoft recognizes that the computer should only have one antivirus installed so it disables Home Defender when another antivirus is installed.  Windows 10 also has a firewall which should be enabled.  If you wish to install another antivirus there are several free programs and of course there are the paid versions.  Other than a antivirus and firewall I would suggest downloading Malwarebytes Antimalware 2.2 and install it.  You will need to open the program, update the definitions and run the scans manually.  I do this about once a month.

Edited by dc3, 23 March 2017 - 09:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users