Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram & Hard Disk Drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MichelBevan

MichelBevan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

I'm going to change my Ram & Hard Disk Drive on my old PC it is an upgrading issue, not a problem at all. My question is how to change that device with my PC? Can anyone advise me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

You mean physically? What kind of computer? What is new RAM and HDD?

#3 MichelBevan

MichelBevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

Hi Drillingmachine,

Yap, physically I want to change those devices. My computer is Desktop Computer. Ram is 8GB & Hard Disk is 1TB. Someone told me it's so easy just open your caching & remove them, and install your new devices. Should I do this?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:34 AM

Upgrading those items (physically putting them in the computer) is easy.  But it's all about preparation.

RAM: You need to know the make and model of your computer and motherboard so that you know the motherboards RAM limit, and the right type to buy.  You also need to check how many RAM slots you have in your PC, and how many (if any) are free.  For example, if you have only two slots in the computer, and both are filled with 4 Gb modules at the moment, then to upgrade to say 16 Gb, you will have no choice but to remove the existing memory and replace with new.  If you have free slots then it may be possible to just add further memory without removing the existing.

HDD: What are you upgrading to?  An SSD?  A larger HDD?  Are you planning to run the operating system from the new drive, or are you purely needing more data storage?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

Like Jonuk...I have to ask what is the expectation/purpose/point behind this "upgrade"?  Changing components merely for the sake of change is something that I do...but I don't consider such an "upgrade" of any sort.

What's wrong with your current system...that makes you think that change is necessary or desireable?

Louis

#6 MichelBevan

MichelBevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

Runtime speed & low storage issue with my system. However, 8GM memory supported motherboard which is installed in my systems. I have needed more data storage on my PC, that's why I'm upgrading for a larger HDD.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:50 AM

You can add a second HDD (assuming you have room in the case) and attach it to a spare SATA port and power connector. Use Windows Disk Management to initialise and format the drive, and give it a drive letter and you are good to go.  If you want your new drive to be a boot drive, the process is slightly different because you will have to clone the contents of your current disk to your new disk (using disk cloning software - I've found EaseUS Disk Copy quite easy to use), then set the machine's BIOS to boot from the new disk.  It's not difficult, just more steps.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:36 AM

Giving your motherboard, Processor make and model helps us suggesting better.

I have seen a couple of fellows in my area using a 32 bit operating system on a 16 GB RAM device on an i5 processor(The system was really sluggish). That may be a case here.

Frankly just by increasing RAM you don't get better speeds. The speed also depends on your processor and available free space on your drives and many more factors.

Hard disc instead of loading up the systems hard disc I suggest going for an SSD (size is depending on the constant data you keep on the system and price of course) and going for an external Hard disc of either 1 TB or 2 TB.

#9 MichelBevan

MichelBevan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:10 AM

Hello Hareen, thank you & welcome, my processor is Intel Core i3-4th Gen, 3.60Ghz, Motherboard-Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H.

I'm looking forward to hearing you soon.

#10 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:33 AM

Your mother board supports upto 32GB RAM 

Coutesy https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WVjG3C/gigabyte-motherboard-gab85md3h'> https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WVjG3C/gigabyte-motherboard-gab85md3h

How many RAM slots are you using now and what is the operating system architecture and type?

What are the new parts you are planning to buy??

Yap, physically I want to change those devices. My computer is Desktop Computer. Ram is 8GB & Hard Disk is 1TB. Someone told me it's so easy just open your caching & remove them, and install your new devices. Should I do this?

That is what you do for upgrading RAM and HDD just unplug the old ones or add the new parts parallel to the old ones.

I suggest going for an SSD (size is depending on the constant data you keep on the system and price of course) and going for an external Hard disc of either 1 TB or 2 TB.

I suggest this way for upgrading your storage or OS in the SSD and Data in an additional HDD.

Having a External HDD for saving less used data is much advisable along with backing up your important data on them.

Edited by Hareen, 28 March 2017 - 05:35 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

Regardless of how much RAM the motherboard may support...if you are running a 32-bit version of Windows, 4GB will be the maximum useful amount installed.

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

You should not run into any real issue.

I mean you have semi recent hardware and DDR3 is still very common and seems like your ram compatibility is small but not too terrible.

1600 MHz, 1333 MHz is your frequency and your max is 32gigs

But yes please tell us your specs more, so we can give you a good update path

Edited by MadmanRB, 28 March 2017 - 12:05 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users