Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard and Ram question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vlahka

vlahka

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

So I'm going for a whole new setup to replace my 6 year old broken one. I've narrowed it down to 3 boards and was hoping people here would maybe have some experience with them.

MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON
MSI Z270 GAMING M5
Gigabyte GA-Z270-Gaming K3

Having spent the last 2 weeks looking up reviews, these are my final 3 candidates. I'd love to know if theres any little quirks each one might have. Like the MSI M5 for instance I read that depending which M2 slot you use, the first two or last two SATA ports become disabled. I havent seen mention anything in regards to the Carbon but that doesnt mean much.

My other question regarding ram is a little easier. To accompany my i7700 I'd like some feedback on ram.  Currently the Gskill tridants seem to be stupidly well regarded, although I'm a huge kingston hyperX fan.  I'm more interested in the speeds though.  What sort of speed should I be looking at, ie 2100 / 3200 / 4000 etc, and what would each show me in terms of performance in programs/gaming/overclocking?  Thanks heaps for any replies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:07 PM

Motherboard is useless without other parts. So other parts are?

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Not sure what premiums in price they are charging for the assorted 'gaming' designations on your chosen boards above, but, the Asus Prime 270A has been rock solid, supports SLI, etc., for $165-ish....; I like it! (I used the Gskill Ripjaws DDR4-3200; good speed/timings without being stupidly expensive for faster speeds, and, do not feel like paying even $1 extra for glowing LED strips on top)

(I suspect most Z270 mainboards will be blocking a few SATA ports depending on which M.2 slot you use; my Asus board also disables sata5/6 if you desire full PCI-e X4 speeds/bandwidth to one of the M.2 slots, and, slot 1 if you use the other slot in SATA mode. It does give you the option to bandwidth share, but at reduced speeds. I chose the full PCI-e X4, no sharing, for max speed for the 960 EVO)

Good luck whichever way you choose....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 vlahka

vlahka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:56 AM

Motherboard is useless without other parts. So other parts are?

Not sure what else I could really add.  Aside from the videocard which will be a 1060.

Thanks for the info  MDD1963.  I saw the Prime also, seemed like a pretty good board. Although I'm paranoid of going near Asus as I believe I'm cursed with that brand.  Bios flashed 2 different asus boards and both broke, something that never happened with another board.  I say complete random fluke but the superstitious part of me is railing at it.  I also agree on the LED stuff.  Waste of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users