Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Ivy Bridge i7 Build

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 clumpychicken

clumpychicken

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

First of all, this is my first forum post, so if it's in the wrong spot, sorry :)!

I decided recently I wanted to build a solid, but inexpensive workstation/gaming pc. (Also note that I'm from Canada, and the exchange rate really sucks for us lol.)

I picked up a pre-built tower with 8 gb of ddr3, a 1 tb hdd, a 550w psu, and an i7-3770s for $220.

Next I picked up a used Asus mobo (since the tower came with a little intel board without pcie x16 slots,) for $30 from a buddy of mine who runs a computer shop.

Now I think all that's left is to pick up a gpu, (I'm getting a used R7 265 for $50, I know it's a bottleneck, but it's all I need for now,) and that's is for the build.

I also snagged a refurbished 22" 1080p IPS monitor for $125.

So, mostly, this was just me introducing my build for fun, (I always like reading other people's builds,) but I'll also ask: any tips in general? I've built one PC in the past, but I'm still not super experienced. I think I can just swap mobos without worrying about reinstalling Windows, but I'm going to back everything up just in case.

Thanks, and sorry again if this is the wrong place for a post like this xD!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

What Windows you have? Version? OEM or retail?

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

If you are running WIn10, you might run into issues; Win10 does not take kindly to complete mainboard/cpu swaps; i'd have your product keys handy in case a full reinstall is required, and be ready to convince MS over the phone (for activation) that you needed to 'swap hardware for a repair', vice you were attempting upgrading an OEM rig.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 clumpychicken

clumpychicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:49 PM

What Windows you have? Version? OEM or retail?

Windows 10 (I think pro, and probably OEM, but not 100% sure.)

If you are running WIn10, you might run into issues; Win10 does not take kindly to complete mainboard/cpu swaps; i'd have your product keys handy in case a full reinstall is required, and be ready to convince MS over the phone (for activation) that you needed to 'swap hardware for a repair', vice you were attempting upgrading an OEM rig.

Yeah, apparently there's a program you can download, (not sure of the name atm,) which tells you your Windows key, so I think I'm just going to do that, and then if swapping motherboards causes problems, I can just format the drive and redownload Windows using my key. That should work, right?

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

Yeah, apparently there's a program you can download, (not sure of the name atm,) which tells you your Windows key, so I think I'm just going to do that, and then if swapping motherboards causes problems, I can just format the drive and redownload Windows using my key. That should work, right?

Probably not. You should register Microsoft account with old motherboard (if haven't already done so) and only after that swap another motherboard. Then Windows may still work, but you must re-activate anyway.

#6 clumpychicken

clumpychicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

How do I 'register Microsoft account with old motherboard'? I have the product key, (which I got using the program 'Produkey,') so do I still need to do this registration thing? I'm a bit lost, (and my wifi is on the blink too...perfect timing lol.)

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

Registering Microsoft account https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17201/windows-10-sign-in-with-a-microsoft-account

Does your product key begin with either TX9XD-, 7HNRX- or VK7JG-?

#8 clumpychicken

clumpychicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

Registering Microsoft account https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17201/windows-10-sign-in-with-a-microsoft-account

Does your product key begin with either TX9XD-, 7HNRX- or VK7JG-?

I figured it out right after asking, actually xD.

Nope, it doesn't. Does that specify OEM or something?

#9 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

Ultra Virus Killer (portable or installed, if you wish) has an 'info' section which readily displays WIndows product key...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#10 clumpychicken

clumpychicken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

Ultra Virus Killer (portable or installed, if you wish) has an 'info' section which readily displays WIndows product key...

I already got the product key :). The pc is also registered under my Microsoft account. Do I NEED a bootable drive to clean install windows, or can I just format the drive, swap the motherboard, and reinstall Windows using the key?

Thanks for your help guys.

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,479 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

I figured it out right after asking, actually xD.
Nope, it doesn't. Does that specify OEM or something?

That basically tells you haven't made upgrade from Windows 7, nothing else.

Better way: go to command promt (CMD) and type: slmgr /dli

What does it say? It's possible you must run CMD as administrator.

I already got the product key :). The pc is also registered under my Microsoft account. Do I NEED a bootable drive to clean install windows, or can I just format the drive, swap the motherboard, and reinstall Windows using the key?
Thanks for your help guys.

Yuu need bootable USB or DVD, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can format HDD using that.

But let's check that key first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users