Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 10 Creators Will Not Block All Windows Updates on Metered Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,089 posts
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

This may change in the final version but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Windows Update Settings in Windows 10 Anniversary Update Build 14393.953

The key difference between these two versions of Windows 10 is the second sentence that reads as follows:

In that case, we'll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly.

Setting a connection as metered in Windows 10 has been a widely used and shared method to control the automatic download and installation of Windows Updates which of course are mandatory on the Windows 10 Home SKU of the operating system so this will impact that work around. In addition, users who are on true metered connections might not be expecting these required updates to use up their bandwidth either after they get the Creators Update when it is released.

So when I saw this new description of how updates would be treated on a metered connection it got me wondering what exactly are those updates which are required to keep Windows running smoothly.

I have reached out to Microsoft to get some clarity on the types of updates that would fit into that category and once I hear back from them I will update this article.

In the meantime, the Creators Update where this new text appears about metered connections, is still pre-release software and could change. However, as I discussed earlier today, it is also very close to being the final version of this big feature update with the likelihood of changes being very low at this point. I say that because this is more than just a change in text but the underlying networking capabilities to allow certain updates to be installed over metered connections as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,463 posts
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

This is the much ballyhooed UUP install method. I have using it successfully for a few of months now and I really like it, but it DOES NOT work right for everybody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users