Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anniversary update failure

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Recently bought a new laptop for one of my kids.  What do you do with a new computer?  update everything you can...  I quickly ran into some trouble with that laptop hogging the wifi bandwidth while trying to update(Anniversary update).  It's a bit of a story but the troubles have gone beyond simply using too much of the internet. 

The download process takes forever and I can't sit and stare at the screen ALL day long.  I let it run overnight sometimes.  On a few occassions I've noticed that the update screen went away.  I wondered, did it install and then restart?  Couldn't figure it out.  But I've checked and that update, as well as a couple unimportant ones, have failed a couple of times at least. 
I went to run it again last night... and again, the download started all over but this time I managed to watch it show that it was "updating" and not just downloading.  Woke up around 4 this morning and it was more than halfway done updating...  7:30 this morning it was at 98% and a little while later 99%...  and now a few hours later, still at 99%.  My guess is that it will fail again but we'll see.

So, my questions...

1.  When checking to see that some updates have failed(multiple times) I cannot find any way to see an explanation... a "why".  no error codes, etc.  How can I correct a problem without more info? 
2.  Is there a way AND would it possibly work better if the update was downloaded and put on a cd to install that way?  an iso file might install more easily than this download method?  Maybe?

I want to make sure everything is up to date.  Still have to replace the temp McAfee they put on there and change some settings, work on accounts, etc... but I NEED to get this thing in running order sooner than later.  This update process has slowed me down just a bit too long.

If more technical info is needed... >>THIS<<  is the laptop we purchased.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

If this is brand new PC then you should just do a clean install of the newest version of Windows 10, it only takes about 30 minutes and fixes a whole lot of issues;

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

It is quite easy but if you run into any issues then we can help you out.

If you have actually used this PC and loaded software onto it, then there are many options to detect what the issue is.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

If this is brand new PC then you should just do a clean install of the newest version of Windows 10, it only takes about 30 minutes and fixes a whole lot of issues;

If you have actually used this PC and loaded software onto it, then there are many options to detect what the issue is.

Reading that now.  Any thing I need to think about be concerned with before I start the task?      I hadn't considered this but sure sounds like the best idea...  not only for the update issues but, would get rid of some bloatware as well right?  :)

Edit:  I'm now reading about the product key aspect of it to make sure I don't get stuck without it. 

Edited by millipede, 16 March 2017 - 10:40 AM.

#4 Natasha4rawlings

Natasha4rawlings

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

I think that update should be rolled over... A better version should be released... Too many bugs

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

Reading that now.  Any thing I need to think about be concerned with before I start the task?      I hadn't considered this but sure sounds like the best idea...  not only for the update issues but, would get rid of some bloatware as well right?  :)

Edit:  I'm now reading about the product key aspect of it to make sure I don't get stuck without it. 

Go into your settings

go to update and security

go to activation

It should say that your PC is activated with a digital entitlement. If it does then the clean install will not effect your activation because the product key is stored in the Microsoft servers.

Yes, the clean install will eliminate all of the bloatware and I do it to every laptop that all my friends and family buy right away.

I think that update should be rolled over... A better version should be released... Too many bugs

Zero bugs are included from Microsoft with any OS.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

It should say that your PC is activated with a digital entitlement.

it just says "activated" and you can see a bunch of x's with 4 digits at the end.
One of the pages I read suggests that newer computers store the product key on a firmware chip.  Who knows.  The laptop is linked to my microsoft account though so one way or another it should work.  I'll get started on it all now... will take a while but I'll let you know how it turns out.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

Good luck. There are a lot of good folks here that will help you if you get stuck at some point.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

finally found my missing flash drive and am about to set it up.  Have a question though.
I believe the new laptop has some sort of recover partition on it... I'll have to check.  Is that something I should or would have to mess with when I go to do the fresh install?

Edit:  Might have to find another flash drive lying around.  This is a brand new one that came with the laptop...  my pc recognizes it... says it has proper drivers... but that media creation tool hasn't acknowledged it yet. 

Edited by millipede, 16 March 2017 - 12:50 PM.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

The new flash drive might have to be reformatted to FAT32. Also, when I do a clean install I wipe all of the partitions completely away  and I let Windows create a new recovery partition.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

The new flash drive might have to be reformatted to FAT32.

hmm, tried that and it didn't help.  odd.  I do have other flash drive lying around so I'll have to see what I can find.

Also, when I do a clean install I wipe all of the partitions completely away  and I let Windows create a new recovery partition.

Thanks... I'll try that.  Will I have those options running the flash drive(if I get that far) or do I wipe the drive prior to running the flash drive?

Edit:  I put in a flash drive that isn't new, has data on it(not a lot) so I know it works and all...  that program isn't finding any flash drives at all.  :(
Unless there's something else to do, I can always just burn the ISO file to a dvd.

Edited by millipede, 16 March 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

This is what I normally do. I use the media creation tool and I do not set up the installation tool right away. I always choose install on a different PC or something like that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This will create an ISO file of the entire Windows 10 that you save on to your computer. Then I use Rufus as a tool to create a bootable USB stick

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Then during installation it will allow you to choose the partition set up that you want. At that point I just wipe any existing partitions and let Windows set up the entire drive.

Depending on your internet speed, it could take between 10 minutes and 2 hours to download the ISO, and then only about 15 to 20 minutes to install it and another 30 to 40 minutes to configure it to your personal liking.

After that you have a frsh, clean and personalized PC.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

This is what I normally do. I use the media creation tool and I do not set up the installation tool right away. I always choose install on a different PC or something like that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

yeah, I was doing that but trying to just use the flash drive from there.  not sure why it wouldn't recognize them. 

I'm downloading the ISO now...  1.5Mbps connection so it will take some time.  at 11%.......

Any advantage using a flash drive over a dvd?

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

Yes, that will take several hours. Report back if there are any issues.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

One good thing about using the Media Creation Tool to create a brand new copy of Windows 10 is that you will get the Anniversary Edition but there will still be a couple of updates necessary to bring it up to date.

Keep us all posted.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:23 AM

I would suggest trying the following before considering reinstalling the operating system, and if it comes to that it is simpler to do a Reset.

The first thing I would try would be to use the DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth command from the Command Prompt. 

The easiest way to do this is to press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the Command Prompt opens copy and the paste the command above, then press Enter.

If this doesn't resolve the issue do a Reset.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

Settings%20w10_zpshotznunu.png

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

settings%20w10-2_zpslwcrdejs.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

Settings%20w%2010-3_zpsjcoecsv4.png

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

If you have recently installed this operating system you will receive the message below.

Setting%20w10-4_zps9ejgxhyo.png

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

You should see if you have the Anniversary update installed.  This made a lot of corrections for the operating system.  To determine if you do press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open the Run box.  When the Run box opens type in winver, then click/tap on OK.  The Anniversary version is 1607, the original is the 1511.  If you don't have the anniversary update installed I would suggest making this your next download.

Edited by dc3, 17 March 2017 - 10:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users