Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I enable the built-in Adobe Flash Player on Google Chrome?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, and use Google Chrome v.57.0.2987.98 64-bit for listening to Internet Radio and sometimes watching TV.

This has worked quite well as long as I have manually uninstalled, downloaded and reinstalled Adobe Flash Player via PPAPI, but eventually Google decided to modernize so as to integrate AFP in Chrome.

While this is perfectly welcome in terms of maintaining security against hackers etc., I am however having an issue with enabling the built-in AFP.

I have received an error message stating that "Adobe Flash Player is pre-installed in Google Chrome, but not enabled."

I have uninstalled Google Chrome, reinstalled it, reset all settings and ran the Chrome Cleanup Tool, which did not find anything wrong.

So hence, my question is as follows;

How do I enable the built-in Adobe Flash Player on Google Chrome?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

If you have Chrome 56 or earlier then in the address bar type chrome://plugins to enable or disable. If you have v57 then open settings > Advanced Settings > Content Settings under Privacy. I would recommend it be set as shown. Ask when running flash content.

Chrome 57 also allow you to type chrome://components to see if you have flash listed.

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

Hi, JohnC_21!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Yes, I agree that Flash content should run only when asked and not by default, since it is a generally vulnerable communication protocol, however for Flash content to work I had to define the only web site I use for Internet Radio and TV as an exception.

Will my habit of manually deleting "everything" before exiting Chrome for privacy reasons cause this Flash setting to reset? Mostly just curious. :whistle:

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

I don't believe your setting would be deleted if by manually deleting you mean to clear history and cookies. Try it and if it deletes the site then you would need to whitelist the site every time you start Chrome.

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

Hi again, JohnC_21!

If I only delete history and cookies, the setting seems to be kept, even though it actually belongs to this latter cathegory. Fingers crossed! :thumbup2:

Well, anyway it is a good thing to know that I am not using Flash all that much, and l also have other web browsers...meaning that I can use Chrome as a backup, as I prefer Firefox for everyday use for its ability to automatically delete history and cookies upon exit. :whistle:

Thank you again! :) The issue appears to be successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 17 March 2017 - 03:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users