Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emails coming from my address

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Raymondo44

Raymondo44

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:58 AM

Over the past few weeks, I have been receiving emails usually sex orientated, using my email address. I have changed my p/w 6 times over the last  2 weeks but they still keep coming. I have had my email address for many years and it would be a nightmare to change it.

I use Google for search engine and Outlook for emails, running on Win7 SP1.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can resolve this issue.

Appreciate any help with this would be very welcome!

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2017 - 09:16 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

You can't. Your email address is out there and it's easy enough for anyone to send an email and make it appear as though it's coming from a different address. You can change your email address, but over time the same thing will happen again.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,638 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

And a second:  You can't.   

Once an e-mail address is "out there" and can be sniffed anyone who is a spoofer who wishes to grab your e-mail address at random for creating spoof e-mail messages can and will do so.

I have stopped even bothering to notify people when I get a message that's clearly been spoofed, as no compromise of an e-mail account is necessary to do this.

This situation is a fact of life in the 21st century.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Thanks to Allan and britechguy for their replies. I think this 'stuff' began when I bought an Android tablet! I don't use it for emails anymore but too late I guess.

For Brian (Bri the Tech Guy) - seems Donald Trump has read Niels Bohr too!

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,638 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

Raymondo,

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the platform used to send e-mail messages.   E-mail addresses can be sniffed out while "in transit" no matter where the message originated [and so can the address(es) of the recipient(s) on a given message].

I do not think that Donald Trump reads anything longer than tweets, and "profound truth" is not something he'd recognize.  "Profound" is not something he'd recognize.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

May I suggest that if this turns into a political discussion of any sort the moderators will likely step in?

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

What email provider do you use? Gmail?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,638 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

May I suggest that if this turns into a political discussion of any sort the moderators will likely step in?

May I suggest that you wait until it does before worrying about it?

#9 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

Replying to Didier Stevens, I have a Hotmail a/c. I do have a Gmail a/c but never use it.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

Unfortunately this can happen to any sort of personal email account (pop, web based, etc).

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

For Gmail I suggest that you report these e-mails as spam. Soon you will see that similar e-mails will be stored in your spam folder, where they won't bother you.

That's about the only thing you can do for this issue.

For Hotmail, I don't know if their anti-spam filters are as good.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,638 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

For Gmail I suggest that you report these e-mails as spam. Soon you will see that similar e-mails will be stored in your spam folder, where they won't bother you.

That's about the only thing you can do for this issue.

For Hotmail, I don't know if their anti-spam filters are as good.

All of the major e-mail providers have spam filters that learn based on what their users as a group report as spam, not just one user, so what you suggest doing not only helps the individual but also makes the email provider's filtering more robust.

What surprises me is that anything that's "of a sexual nature" that's also of the typical solicitation format isn't already being sent to spam as a matter of course.  Someone's got to be very creative in their wording to get around spam filters for the majority of "sex-related spam."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users