Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash drive not formatting

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 xcalibur0645

xcalibur0645

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:47 AM

Good day, Bleeping Computer forums!

I bought a 64 GB flash drive from Singapore a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to convert it into NTFS, so I tried formatting it, but Windows kept on saying that it couldn't format it. In response, I hit up CMD and removed the current partition of the drive so I could make a new one in NTFS format, but that failed as well. At this stage, the drive was unrecognizable. Its storage capacity was even listed as "unknown." Thinking I still could fix things, I downloaded a third-party partition software (I forgot its name) and attempted to create a new partition for the drive. The software said the process succeeded, but when I checked, Windows still said, "You have to format this drive before you can use it." I tried doing that, but the format still failed. This time, however, the storage capacity was finally recognized—62.4 GB.

I already tried both of the formatting options (quick and not), but both of them failed.

Please help me with this. All help are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

It sounds like you got a faulty drive. Even if you finally get it to work, I would not depend on it. These things are so cheap now you can get them online for a few bucks. Newegg.com has lots of them. That is the danger of buying technology items overseas, no guarantee that you will get something that is dependable.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:20 AM

If the drive was very inexpensive it's possible the drive had a fake capacity. I would not recommend using it as ranchhand posted but you can try diskpart and see if the drive formats using it if the tools in the link I posted show the correct capacity.

Open a command prompt and type the following commands with the drive attached. 

diskpart

list disk

select disk X        Where X is the number associated with the flash drive.Make sure you have the correct number as the next command wipes the drive

clean                   deletes all partitions    If the following commands fail then start again and use clean all which will zero out the drive.

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs quick

exit

exit

#4 xcalibur0645

xcalibur0645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Okay. I did the command prompt thing and followed everything you said. All of the commands were successful except for "format fs=ntfs quick," which resulted into this error:

DiskPart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect.

See the System Event Log for more information.

What to do? CMD said the storage of the drive is 62 GB.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

If you already tried converting/formatting it back to FAT32 [the default, correct?] -- what happened?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

Look at System Event Viewer for a clue to the error. If none found try the following.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X        Where X is the number associated with the flash drive.Make sure you have the correct number as the next command wipes the drive

clean all               clean all which will zero out the drive. Wait until you see the diskpart prompt again before typing the next command.

convert MBR       If convert MBR gives a problem then use convert GPT.  Convert GPT should not be required as the flash drive is only 64GB

create partition primary

format fs=fat32 quick

exit

exit

#7 xcalibur0645

xcalibur0645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:13 AM

RolandJS, I haven't tried it, but JohnC_21's instructions seem to do just that so no worries.

JohnC_21, I have done all of the commands. All of them succeeded except for "format fs=fat32 quick," which resulted into this error:

Virtual Disk Service error:

The volume size is too big.

What's our next move?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Sorry, I forgot that Fat32 in Windows will only allow up to 32GB. Now that the drive has been zero'd out use Partition Wizard to see if you can format the partition or use the command format fs=ntfs using diskpart. 

#9 xcalibur0645

xcalibur0645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:04 AM

I decided to go with the CMD method.

I entered diskpart, list disk, select disk 1 (the flash drive), and format fs=ntfs. It resulted into the following message:

There is no volume selected.

Please select a volume and try again.

Did I miss something?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

Yes, because you already created the partition I believe you would need the following commands

diskpart

list volume

select volume X    Where X is the number of the volume associated with your flash drive. Make sure you have the correct number as the next step will reformat the disk

format fs=ntfs quick     

It may also work by these steps

diskpart

list disk

select disk X    Where X is your flash drive number

list partition

select partition X

format fs=ntfs quick

#11 xcalibur0645

xcalibur0645
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:49 AM

Okay. Sorry about that.

I tried both of those lists of commands. Unfortunately, both of them resulted into this:

DiskPart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect.

See the System Event Log for more information.

Any ideas?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

I think the drive is bad, unfortunately. The last options would be using Gparted on a live CD but you need to make sure you are selecting the correct device in the dropdown box on the upper right of the screen. The naming convention is different in linux so your flash drive would have an sdX listing.

gparted-choose-device.jpg

See this tutorial.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

You first want to create a new partition table then create the primary partition and format it ntfs.

gparted-create-partition-table.jpg

I would also try this on another USB port of the computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 March 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

"...you need to make sure you are selecting the correct device in the dropdown box on the upper right of the screen..."  One way I've protected my stuff is to give unique names to all hard-drives and all partitions -- that way, regardless of boot, one "aims" a utility at the proper device or partition.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

"...you need to make sure you are selecting the correct device in the dropdown box on the upper right of the screen..."  One way I've protected my stuff is to give unique names to all hard-drives and all partitions -- that way, regardless of boot, one "aims" a utility at the proper device or partition.

The Gparted Live CD will not see the Windows volume names. Gparted will only see the disks as sdX.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Thanks JohnC, is there any way to make Gparted Live CD a little more informative as to which hard-drive or which partition one is "aiming" at?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users