Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turns off Randomly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 njschmud

njschmud

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion 15 that is about 3 years old. It has a 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4210U processor. 

Twice today, my laptop has, without warning, shut off completely. The only way to bring it back up is to plug it in, despite the battery being at around 30% or 50%. I had updated my computer in between the two shutdowns. I am not sure if it has anything to do with Windows 8.1 or not. If I could get help on this, that would be great. Have a good day!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:59 AM

It might not be any software issue. Laptop and its parts stop working optimally after a random time (generally 3 years or till end of your warranty). Also there can be any loose ends/ loose contacts. That's a general case though.

You can also try cleaning with CCleaner for any errors (just in case).

Check the battery health once. Go through the link if you don't know how.

https://www.howtogeek.com/217010/how-to-generate-a-battery-health-report-on-windows-8-or-windows-10/ 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:01 PM

It can be great many things. So with that said, you should go into the into bios and check the voltage of the bios battery. Should read above 3v. If it doesn't time to get a new one.

#5 Claire22

Claire22

• Banned Spammer
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:04 AM

Maybe something is wrong with your laptop battery. Try replacing the battery, may be it would fix the issue.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Maybe something is wrong with your laptop battery. Try replacing the battery, may be it would fix the issue.

The battery will either work or not work, there would be nothing in between.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

If I understand this correctly, this computer is shutting down when it is running from the battery only but runs without problems when the power adapter is plugged in?  If this is correct you need to replace the battery.  The battery charge level could be showing 30% charge but could still have an inadequate charge to run the computer.  

#8 Gorguruga

Gorguruga

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

It's probably the battery from the sounds of it. My laptop battery used to last 2 hours when it was new but now it lasts about 30 minutes and it'll go from 30% to shut off in less than 5 minutes. 

Having said that.. it's not guaranteed it's the battery, as it's been mentioned above, there could be a number of other things. 

Edited by Gorguruga, 22 March 2017 - 11:12 AM.

#9 elizbethsewell666

elizbethsewell666

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

May be its not not any software issue or update problem, hardware issue is also possible. May be your battery is the cause of shutdown of your charger is working properly. You should check your hardware first if there is no problem with hardware then try reinstalling the operating system.

#10 Vikram25

Vikram25

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

It is because of your RAM. Just reset it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users