Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 will not update - for a year

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

I successfully updated two of my Windowss 10 computers, but have not been able to update
one - for almost a year.

Sometimes it says "Your device is up to date. Last checked 08/30/2016 9.55 am."

Most of the time," There were some problems installing updates..." after hours of 'checking'

I ran chkdsk. My machine initially said that there are no errors; that I don't need to run chk dsk.
When I ran it anyway, "Windows found errors on the drive that need to be repaired. Close this dialog box and then repair the drive."
Repair the drive? How??!

I ran MS Safety Scanner. Didn't seem to come up with anything.

I ran Windows Update Troubleshooter many times.

Then it recommended deleting updates and re-downloading them. "problems installing updates..."

Then it recommended downloading this and that KB. I did this with no positive results.

I ran DISM and it said it couldn't understand "Cleanup-Image"

This is beyond frustrating.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:12 PM

My first advice would be to do the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixing “Weird Issues” under Windows 8 or Windows 10 Using the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management (DISM)

If you are having "weird problems" with any Windows system, the first thing you should do is to run the System File Checker (SFC).  Open a Command Prompt window using the "Run as Administrator" option.  The easiest way to do this is to hit the Windows Key, immediately enter the text “Command Prompt” and getting the Command Prompt desktop app returned as the first item.  Gain focus on it and bring up the context menu either via right click or hitting the menu/applications key [if your machine has one] or Shift+F10 if it does not then selecting “Run as administrator” from the context menu that appears.  Once that elevated command prompt window is opened, enter:

SFC /scannow

When it's finished look at its output to see if it found any corrupt files and whether it was able to fix them.

If SFC reports that it was unable to fix something, on Windows 8 and Windows 10 systems it's also worth running the following command, also in a Command Prompt window that's been opened with "Run as Adminstrator":

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

DISM should be able to fix errors that SFC may not be able to fix.  If you wish to be really thorough, after running DISM, and presuming it reports that all has been fixed, shutdown and restart your machine and run SFC one final time.  The SFC result should be clean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If that doesn't work the next step would be a Reset with "Keep My Files" option, followed by a Reset that wipes the machine (having backed up your data files first, of course), followed by a fresh install of Windows 10.

It's not likely you'll reach the fresh install.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:53 PM

If Your Windows 10 has been there about year or maybe more, like You said, the the best recommendation is to do a clean install. Even after the 16.07, 2016 update was elementary to do clean install or at least some programs was needed to reinstall.
Now is the latter time to do. You can improve and clean as much as You want, it will never  give the same result what may get, if everything is fresh.
Do it. It will not take so much time as You waste, if do repair every day. After You can live in peace several months.

#4 MichelBevan

MichelBevan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:22 AM

I think your system doesn't meet the requirements. :bounce: 
The framework necessities for Windows 10 aren't insane, however your PC may not meet them, particularly in case you're low on hard drive space. You'll require no less than 20 GB of open hard drive space to introduce the 64-bit rendition of Windows 10 (16GB for the 32-bit variant), in addition to a 1GHz or speedier processor, 2GB of RAM (1GB for the 32-bit adaptation), and a DirectX 9-skilled video card with WDDM driver. In case you're barely shy of the necessities, look at these approaches to rapidly make room on your hard drive. :lmao: 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

If the sfc /scannow doesn't resolve this issue try rebuilding the update components.

Reset Windows Update Components.

Open notebook, copy and paste the code below in the notebook.

@ECHO OFF
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
echo.
PAUSE
echo.
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo.
echo Task completed successfully...
echo.
PAUSE

Once you have pasted this in notebook click on File and select Save as and save it as "WUReset.bat", include the quotation marks.

Right click on the batch file and select Run as administrator.

Edited by dc3, 16 March 2017 - 07:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users