Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't click on read mail on Dell laptop. Inspiron 17.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

I decided to click on read mail, and set up my email. But when I click on read mail, this comes up.

"Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed."

Am I supposed to download something for the email?It does that each time I click read mail.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 15 March 2017 - 06:41 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to Web browsing/email etc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

I now have Outlook on there. But when I click read mail, the same message comes up.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Members
  • 2,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

I would recommend that you double check all the account settings, including the port numbers being used, for the incoming and outgoing (SMTP) mail servers for the account in question making sure that they match what your service provider says they should be.

If you are not using IMAP access I would strongly suggest that you consider switching to it, particularly if you intend to access a given account from multiple locations/devices.

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy -> (my website address is in my profile, if interested)

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
       ~ Issac Asimov,  A Cult of Ignorance in Newsweek,  January 22, 1980 

#4 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:24 PM

I don't know how to check the port number. When I set it up, I enterd my Outlook password, then my email address, and my email password. I brought up my email accounts. Next to the email address, it says IMAP/SMTP. Then it has send from this account. I have been having another problem with Outlook. After I get an email, it later on deletes that email. This is even if I don't tell it to delete the email. The deleted emails are not in the trash. It might be a setting.

I also am having trouble transfering email from my old computer, to the new one. The old computer has Windows mail. I placed the email on a folder, and I then transfered the folder into the new computer. After that I transfered the emails to a another folder called Inbox. But they don't show up in the inbox. After that I clicked, and dragged the emails into archive.

Can I make the emails I put in the Inbox folder show up in the inbox?

#5 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

Anybody know what I can do? I'm still using Windows Vista for email. I want to get everything switched over to the new computer.

#6 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

Ok, I found out how to save my emails. I click on file then options. It then has Office intelligent services. There is a box that says Enable service. So I checked that off, and it now saves the email. I'm getting Outlook from a free trial of Word 2016. The trial ends on April 18. When that ends, will I lose Outlook? I think Word 2016 is $120.00. Are there any cheaper prices for Word 2016, or any free downloads for Outlook?

#7 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

Ok, an update. What I posted above, I thought it would save emails, but it still won't save. Is there any other program that saves emails, and works on Windows 10? I looked at the Outlook download, and it cost $107.00.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Members
  • 2,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:08 AM

Sam,

1. Windows 10 Mail App (built in to Windows 10)
  2. Thunderbird
  3. Opera Mail

and there are other additional free e-mail clients out there.   I personally do not like the Windows 10 Mail App at all and would use either Thunderbird or Opera Mail in preference to it.

I still have to believe that you could delete your account from Outlook and set it up again from scratch.  I have yet to see a version of Outlook that's 2007 or later (I have Outlook 2010 on my machine) that doesn't work just fine under Windows 10.  The message you reported way back when clearly indicates a problem with the account setup.  If you get Thunderbird or Opera Mail working I would strongly suggest you try deleting the account in Outlook and then trying to create it again to see if the problem fixes itself.

Brian   AKA  Bri the Tech Guy -> (my website address is in my profile, if interested)

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'

#9 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

Ok, I will look at those othere email clients. I do have Windows mail on the new computer, but I don't like it. I also have the same problems with it. It won't save emails in the inbox.  Only in the archive. But I will first delete my Outlook account. Then try to set the account back up. I forgot to ask. Can you transfer emails from Windows mail(the one on Vista) to Opera, or Thunderbird? I have some emails I wanted to save. Some are from members of congress, and some from family. I have them on USB, and I can transfer with Team viewer. I did that last month onto Outlook on the new computer. It was hard, but I got it done.

Edited by Sam Gunn, 08 April 2017 - 07:19 PM.

#10 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

An update.  I downloaded, and installed Thunderbird. But I couldn't get it to work. So I then worked on Outlook some more. I removed my email address from Outlook, and then I lost everything in the archive. I then put my email address back in, and I chose POP3, instead of IMAP. That time it worked. I did this on Saturday night, and the emails are still there.   But in order to keep Outlook, I would have to pay $70.00 a year. And I didn't want to pay that, just so I could have Outlook. So I went back to working on Thunderbird. I got that fixed, and setup. It had something with the port number.

Thunderbird looks like the old Windows mail, or Outlook. So I like Thunderbird, and plan to use it. The only thing I don't like is the welcome messagwe, and the thick gray bar that seperates the email that you are reading, from the list above it. I prefer a thin bar. Other than that it is great. In IE, I can click read mail, and Thunderbird comes right up.

#11 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

One thing to remember with POP3 email. Both POP3 and IMAP emails are on the server at your ISP (Internet service provider). The difference is with them is POP3 the emails get download to your PC and are viewed with your Client (Windows Mail, Outlook or Thunderbird). With IMAP the emails remain on the ISP server and you view them with your client. One thing with POP3 is because your emails are received on the mail server at your provider and copies are download to your machine there is a switch in your POP3 configuration. That switch is Delete emails after download. If you don't check the box because most emails have space limits you will have to delete those emails on the server. I have a POP3 account and I login every week to do this. I don't use a client I use a web browser and use my provider web page to delete. I usually have about 1500 emails until i reach data limits.

I leave the delete mail after download unchecked because I want to view emails on multiple devices. If i checked the box the emails would be deleted after they were downloaded the first time.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• Members
  • 2,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

One thing to remember with POP3 email. Both POP3 and IMAP emails are on the server at your ISP (Internet service provider). The difference is with them is POP3 the emails get download to your PC and are viewed with your Client (Windows Mail, Outlook or Thunderbird). With IMAP the emails remain on the ISP server and you view them with your client. One thing with POP3 is because your emails are received on the mail server at your provider and copies are download to your machine there is a switch in your POP3 configuration. That switch is Delete emails after download. If you don't check the box because most emails have space limits you will have to delete those emails on the server. I have a POP3 account and I login every week to do this. I don't use a client I use a web browser and use my provider web page to delete. I usually have about 1500 emails until i reach data limits.

I leave the delete mail after download unchecked because I want to view emails on multiple devices. If i checked the box the emails would be deleted after they were downloaded the first time.

But you should also have a box in the settings for your e-mail client that reads something like, "Leave messages on server until I delete them."  Usually this is in combination with another box that gives a certain maximum number of days that you want them to stay on the server until they'd be deleted from there even if you didn't delete them in your e-mail client.  Both work independently of each other so that you can have all e-mail that's been downloaded kept on the server but deleted as soon as you delete the messages in your client or after 30 days if you haven't.

You're making the whole process much more difficult than it need be if you actually use an e-mail client on a daily basis to read your mail (which it's not entirely clear from your message whether you do, but it seems like you might).  E-mail clients that work with POP (and that's pretty much all of them) are designed around how the storage paradigm for POP works and allow you to handle that directly from within them.

I can find these settings easily in the account settings on Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail 2012 and I know I've seen them in MS-Outlook, but I don't have a POP account configured in that client at the moment.

#13 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

But you should also have a box in the settings for your e-mail client that reads something like, "Leave messages on server until I delete them."  Usually this is in combination with another box that gives a certain maximum number of days that you want them to stay on the server until they'd be deleted from there even if you didn't delete them in your e-mail client.  Both work independently of each other so that you can have all e-mail that's been downloaded kept on the server but deleted as soon as you delete the messages in your client or after 30 days if you haven't.

You're making the whole process much more difficult than it need be if you actually use an e-mail client on a daily basis to read your mail (which it's not entirely clear from your message whether you do, but it seems like you might).  E-mail clients that work with POP (and that's pretty much all of them) are designed around how the storage paradigm for POP works and allow you to handle that directly from within them.

I can find these settings easily in the account settings on Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail 2012 and I know I've seen them in MS-Outlook, but I don't have a POP account configured in that client at the moment.

Well you only have to configure your client once and it works everyday unless the ISP changes the name of the email server. My ISP which was Bright House now Spectrum only has a check box to delete emails after download and doesn't have a time limit. If I don't go to Spectrum server using a browser as a client I get a message with every email that If reached my limits and it doesn't keep the email until I remove them manually. Thats why I login every week to delete emails on Spectrum's email server. Both POP3 and IMAP setting aren't worreid about until you have an error. Typically an error happens because of a change by the ISP and not my the user unless less they change their password and don't update their clients server info for the new password.  

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#14 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

I have five email addresses. Only one goes to my computer. The one that goes into my computer, I get almost no spam. I had the email address since 2,005, and I can count the number of spam emails on one hand, and have a couple of fingers left over. When I sign up to a website, I use my spam email addresses. Those I do get spam. Along with this site, I get Amazon on that spam email address. I have one on Yahoo for Second Life. I have another email address for Twitter, and another. But one email address I prefer to go onto my computer. I don't use any other electronic devices. Just my laptop, and the old desktop. But I'm no longer using the desktop to go on the internet. Just copying old notepads that's on there.

None of my email addresses has my real name, and I don't use Facebook. Even my Twitter name is fake.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 52,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

The emial client you use...has a website.  At that website is very detailed documentation on how to set up and use that client.  It's not difficult, just requires reading and following instructions.

For the record, I use Thunderbird as my client.

The O/S used is of no importance at all when it comes to email, it's the client that needs to be set up properly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users