Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why losing a dog can be harder than losing a relative or friend

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Recently, my wife and I went through one of the more excruciating experiences of our lives — the euthanasia of our beloved dog Murphy.

I remember making eye contact with Murphy moments before she took her last breath — she flashed me a look that was an endearing blend of confusion and the reassurance that everyone was ok because we were both by her side.

When people who have never had a dog see their dog-owning friends mourn the loss of a pet, they probably think it's all a bit of an overreaction; after all, it's "just a dog".

However, those who have loved a dog know the truth: your own pet is never "just a dog".

Many times, I've had friends guiltily confide to me that they grieved more over the loss of a dog than over the loss of friends or relatives.

Research has confirmed that for most people, the loss of a dog is, in almost every way, comparable to the loss of a human loved one.

(As the old saying goes, "may I become the kind of person that my dog thinks I already am.")

Misnaming happens when you call someone by the wrong name, like when a parent mistakenly calls one of their kids by a sibling's name.

It turns out that the name of the family dog also gets confused with human family members, indicating that the dog's name is being pulled from the same cognitive pool that contains other members of the family.

vzv66o.jpg

w01i07.jpg

Whats not to Love ?....meet Belle. My mate. Australian Kelpie. 9 years old.

(Belle is not the dog referred to in this article)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-15/dog/8356622

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and in a related type of article....

http://www.9news.com.au/good-news/2017/03/16/07/00/puppy-who-overdosed-on-heroin-finds-new-home

mkdrib.jpg

You just cannot buy the happiness portrayed there

Edited by Condobloke, 15 March 2017 - 05:50 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Poppyann

Poppyann

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hi Condobloke, 

I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved dog.. I know the feeling well, being an animal lover myself, I have had many animals pass away and it is heartbreaking.

I have a lovely Jack Russell Terrier, and she is the apple of my eye, and It will break my heart once again to lose another great friend and companion.  You never know, she may out live me ? But she is 10 years old and a joy.

With animal lovers in this world, it gives all those pets a life they deserve, with love, walks and a full belly and some fun over the park. It breaks my hear when I read the horror stories of animals that are abused, so I don't tend to read them now..

To lose a pet, is like losing a relative, sometimes worse.. so give them the joy and love they deserve for the short time they have on this earth.

All the best, Poppy. 

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:06 AM

@ Poppyann, thanks for your thoughts but my dog, Belle, was not the dog referred to in the article

""

Whats not to Love ?....meet Belle. My mate. Australian Kelpie. 9 years old.

(Belle is not the dog referred to in this article)""

My wife and I, accompanied by Belle are about to do a huge geographical shift.

I will be keeping a close eye on her. Not sure how she will handle a plane trip !

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 kitsune

kitsune

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:59 AM

So sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is devastating. They're part of the family.

kVADXHC.jpg  CTz3b49.jpg

l3EJWss.jpg  ORFzIu2.jpg

UWzTnvL.jpg  qOSHfch.jpg

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:20 AM

Gorgeous Pics !!!....is that you with the dog ?)

However......it was NOT my dog that passed....

""Whats not to Love ?....meet Belle. My mate. Australian Kelpie. 9 years old.

(Belle is not the dog referred to in this article)""

Belle, the brown Aussie Kelpie is still alive and doing ok

#6 kitsune

kitsune

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:01 AM

Oh, I see. It was the writer of the article about the bond a person has with a beloved pet, Frank T. McAndrew, who recently lost his dog, Murphy. Very interesting piece! It's true, there is an exceptional bond between pets and their owners.

Yep, that's me with Mimi and Doudou.

Glad Belle is doing well, and I hope the move goes smoothly for you!

#7 Poppyann

Poppyann

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Some lovely pics from Condobloke and Kitsune.. 

I'm very happy for Belle and hope all goes well on the plane journey..

Kitsune, your dog's are adorable..:) 

#8 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

Condobloke, at first I misunderstood your post as well and do agree that losing a loved one hurts, being human or canine. If you can swing it, get Belle a window seat. :)
kitune, your eyes and smile reflect the beauty a dog can bring us. I do feel sorry for those who have no inkling of the rewards of that shared love.

My past best friend was a female Malemute-wolf mix many years ago (think Alaskan sled dog) who came into my life at a very low point by serendipity, sorta rescuing me instead of the other way around. A constant companion for almost thirteen years. Spent months exploring the Sierra mountains with her, was also by my side in a trade business I owned (customers and my crew loved her), and had an intellegence that people found uncanny. When the time came for that fateful day at the vets, she was in my lap in my truck when they gave her the shot, then the vet left us alone for a bit. I closed my eyes and tried to send her spirit and soul as absolutely high as I could (if those religious are raising an eyebrow, don't care, 66 now and far beyond what people may think), and then drove home. The memories of our years together will always be recalled with a smile of gratitude.
Years later find my wife and I with a rescue 7lb. Pom-chi, which is part Pomeranian which is a designer down-sized version of the Spitz. Think sled dog again, though Russian instead of Alaskan. If I made him mush, it would have to be a roller skate. :)
Condobloke, at first I misunderstood your post as well and do agree that losing a loved one hurts, being human or canine. If you can swing it, get Belle a window seat. :)
kitune, your eyes and smile reflect the beauty a dog can bring us. I do feel sorry for those who have no inkling of the rewards of that shared love.

My past best friend was a female Malemute-wolf mix many years ago (think Alaskan sled dog) who came into my life at a very low point by serendipity, sorta rescuing me instead of the other way around. A constant companion for almost thirteen years. Spent months exploring the Sierra mountains with her, was also by my side in a trade business I owned (customers and my crew loved her), and had an intellegence that people found uncanny. When the time came for that fateful day at the vets, she was in my lap in my truck when they gave her the shot, then the vet left us alone for a bit. I closed my eyes and tried to send her spirit and soul as absolutely high as I could (if those religious are raising an eyebrow, don't care, 66 now and far beyond what people may think), and then drove home. The memories of our years together will always be recalled with a smile of gratitude.
Years later find my wife and I with a rescue 7lb. Pom-chi, which is part Pomeranian which is a designer down-sized version of the Spitz. Think sled dog again, though Russian instead of Alaskan. If I made him mush, it would have to be a roller skate. :)
Bleepin' desert rat retiree of climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Apologies for the double type, using a 1st. Gen. iPad though more probably due to fumble fingers.

#10 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

I know the feeling Condobloke back in 2011 my parents lost there miniature schnauzer (fourteen and half years old) it was a major loss for all of us.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

@ r.a.d.  .... I know the feeling of the dog rescuing the human, rather than the other way 'round...Belle has a 'sense' of all things pertaining to me....when I arrived home with my wife to be (from overseas), Belle jumped into the cab of my ute onto Te's (wife) lap and refused to move. She somehow knew just how important to me this other human being was...and still is.

34t7383.jpg

I don't love you....Much !!!!

#12 kitsune

kitsune

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:47 AM

@ r.a.d.  .... I know the feeling of the dog rescuing the human, rather than the other way 'round...Belle has a 'sense' of all things pertaining to me....when I arrived home with my wife to be (from overseas), Belle jumped into the cab of my ute onto Te's (wife) lap and refused to move. She somehow knew just how important to me this other human being was...and still is.

34t7383.jpg

I don't love you....Much !!!!

Nice! That's the thing about dogs: they're always completely adoring and devoted. They're big furry bundles of boundless love and joy.

I think they're here to teach us how to be better people.

#13 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

Condobloke, great pix! When you mentioned 'sense', and Belle's meeting your wife Te, it resonated here. My Malamute-wolf Tammy (short for Tamara) met girlfriends I dated over the years. When she was older, she acted differently when I met my wife, Diane. She somehow knew I'd kissed through the frogs and finally found a princess (though in all honesty, I probably kissed many a princess, but I was meant to be their frog).
Our dog now is one my wife ran across while visiting her family in Arizona, so we appropriately named him Prescott.

With a now-dead Windows XP computer and not yet buying a Mac, can't post a photo with this ancient iPad, but I did use a photo of Tammy as an avatar 100x100 tiny) on another computer forum that I rarely participate on, for what it's worth. The full size orig. hangs on a wall here.

Username there: Rich. http://www.suggest-a-fix.com/index.php?/topic/1708-our-oceans/?p=12997

Just as an aside, my father knew a gentleman named J. Allen Boone, who wrote a book titled 'Kinship with all Life'. Reading numerous times when growing up, it helped shape my own 'sense' toward animals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users