Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Liquid on my graphics card

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stipess

stipess

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

So I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but if it isn't, feel free to move this post to another forum :P

So I make YouTube videos, usually gaming videos in which I rage at games... well for the audience. That's what they like :D

Anyways, when I was changing my processor cooler, I noticed something on my graphics card (RX 480 8 GB), bits a dots of liquid on the board and a few corroded metal components. Later on, I figured out that while I was yelling during the recording, I accidentally spit, and since my computer has holes on top of the chassis, the spit falls on the graphics card. I took a picture of the graphics card and marked the spots.

I am currently experiencing no problems, however, can I expect problems to occur, and is performance going to be impacted?

http://imgur.com/a/MwA7l

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

It is possible for the corrosion from liquid spatter to create long term problems with electronics. To minimize the possibility the board can be washed down with isopropyl alcohol and visible areas scrubbed gently with the likes of a cotton tip or a soft toothbrush. If corrosion does cause a problem it will probably be pretty obvious, like if a PCB track got eaten through and a function stopped working or the card shut off. With modern cards that can shut down sections to reduce power consumption, it's theoretically possible the card could suffer low performance as a symptom if just one function was affected.

Edited by Platypus, 16 March 2017 - 02:44 AM.
Typo

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 stipess

stipess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

Is there a way to diagnose the card and see if any function at all was affected?

Also, to confirm, I will buy an isopropyl alcohol bottle on amazon and a soft toothbruch and scrub off the corrosion off some parts and clean the splatter on the graphics card?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users