Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Editing Help ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

i started making small videos recently, just simple cutting, trimming, joining etc etc....i used windows movie maker to do this and found it to be very user friendly, and i am used to it now,

i recently went on a trip and recorded a lot of video footage and would like to make one video of the trip by editing, joining etc etc,

my problem is for some reason my camera this time recorded everything in MPEG4 format and windows movie maker will not accept or recognize these videos,

i realize i can use a converter to convert them to a format that windows movie maker will accept but that will take me forever and would be an absolute last resort,

any other advice as to how to go about this?

i installed Lightworks and have spent literally 2 days going over the tutorials and such and its just too confusing (and i am very computer savvy)

i tried downloading and installing about 5 other video editors but none really worked or were really "free",

i would be willing to purchase software if it was user friendly and accepted mpeg4, as long as it was not too expensive,

im just so frusterated right now....any help or advice?

Edited by mikey11, 15 March 2017 - 03:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

Good luck mikey11. Video editing, is a continuous journey and learning curve; complicated, frustrating and incredibly time consuming! :busy:  

Windows Movie Maker is very good for learning about basic cut/trim/add titles etc. I found that Wondershare Filmora is a useful and easy to learn next step and use it for editing most of my video projects. One good feature with Filmora is the ability to detach the sound track altogether. Well, sometimes silent video is better than the sounds of street traffic in the background. 

Cheers -  :)

https://filmora.wondershare.com/101-series/

#3 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:10 AM

is not that difficult to edit and render videos but you there many things that you have to learn in order to be able to produce something with a sufficient quality

windows movie maker is good and very easy to be learned but unfortunately does not support any .mpeg4 videos

i advice you not to try to convert your source video in any other format like avi, wmv since you gonna loose quality because of the compression (every time we convert a video from one format to another we loose quality especially if your video is in standard definition)

it is very easy to see any anomalies in the video quality especially if your video is recompressed on a 27 inch lcd tv

best is to imprort directly into your video editor your .mpeg4 footage

sony vegas studio and sony movie studio is very good a video editors with lots of features  and a very cheap price, they accept mpeg4 videos as well

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/151-1142144-6749156?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sony+vaegas+studio

edit mpeg4 videos in sony vegas youtube tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/results?q=edit+mpeg+4+video+in+sony+vegas

good luck my friend

Edited by nickos, 16 March 2017 - 10:29 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

FWIW

Louis

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

As a Pinnacle user, I did what you are attempting. Graphics applications are a dimension of reality all their own, and everything you learned about standard programs will not apply. I think that Lightworks is way too advanced for what you want to do. I do not recommend Pinnacle because it has a well-deserved reputation for being buggy and just plain obnoxious. I learned all the work-arounds for it and have done some decent editing of old family videos (IMHO) but in good faith I cannot recommend it (unless they have improved it lately).

Any video editor will have to be learned with a lot of patience. Video work is the most demanding on computer hardware of any application there is. Every video editor has its idiosyncrasies and you must learn them 1x1. Once you do, it actually can be enjoyable and rewarding. When my daughter walked down the aisle to receive her university degree, my gift to her was a complete set of DVDs encompassing her walking into kindergarten holding her mother's hand, and finally getting her university degree and our party afterwards. And all the vacations, videos of her childhood and growing up through all the ages. 

The best go-to site for video editing, and one that helped me tremendously struggling through the learning curve, is Videohelp. If anybody knows Lightworks they will be there. You might ask for suggestions on video editors that are more user-friendly and will do what you need.

There are lots of pros in the field that hang out there, so if you act respectful and ask detailed questions, they are happy to help a newcomer to video editing.

Edited by ranchhand_, 17 March 2017 - 07:40 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

thanks for all the advice and help, just an update.....

i ended up sticking with lightworks, it took me awhile to figure it all out and learn how to use it, they have great tutorial videos to help you learn, it just takes awhile,

now that i have learned how to use it, i find it to be very user friendly, i am now glad i stuck it out as now i find it to be a great program to use and would highly recommend it to anybody else

Edited by hamluis, 13 April 2017 - 03:05 PM.
Emphais added to OP result - Hamluis.

#7 Nouvest

Nouvest

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:26 PM

i think you can try free video editor :love4u: i used it, and it was pretty useful

#8 Saham

Saham

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

actually Adobe premier is the best

but you can try Filmora

or Movavi

good luck  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic