Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making the icon the icon of the file

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StillXPRro

StillXPRro

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

(I have to change my UserName, he-he.)

I have an extensive icon collection that I use on my web pages. In XP, the icon itself was the icon of the file. In Win 7, they all have the icon of MicroAngelo, my default icon program.  Any way to get back that feature?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

Have you tried the 'Send to . . . Desktop (create shortcut)' method ?

Start by deleting the existing icon then open Windows Explorer, navigate to the application, right click on the .EXE file and choose the above option. You may need to click 'Organise - Folder and search options - View' then untick the box 'Hide extensions for known file types' so you can pick out the .EXE file.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Win7wiz

Win7wiz

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

Have you tried the 'Send to . . . Desktop (create shortcut)' method ?

Start by deleting the existing icon then open Windows Explorer, navigate to the application, right click on the .EXE file and choose the above option. You may need to click 'Organise - Folder and search options - View' then untick the box 'Hide extensions for known file types' so you can pick out the .EXE file.

Chris Cosgrove

Very few of these icons  are connected to an application. And I created most  myself, not copied from exe files.  But I have found an unexpected solution, maybe a bug in Win7. When I associate .ico with Irfanview instead of Microangelo, all the icons became their former selves. I'm not married to Microangelo. 

"The ways of computers are mysterious and not to be understood by man."  --By Me.

Edited by Win7wiz, 17 March 2017 - 09:32 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

I misunderstood your original post, and you had me fooled by changing your user name in mid-stream but I think your new avatar is an improvement on the Mk 1. but anyhow, glad you have found a solution.

Just on the side, there is no need to quote a complete post in your replies. By all means use a quote to highlight a particular point but with a few exceptions - and mostly for serious breach of forum frules - anything published in a topic stays there until either the end of BC or the heat death of the Universe, whichever comes first. If you look about two or three inches above your quote you will find my reply still sitting there.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 Win7wiz

Win7wiz

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Didn't mean to change in midstream, forgot I had an open question.  I'm using the animal that Firefox should have used, the red panda, also called firefox. And I'm not a wiz; I've had Win7 only 2 months.

Time to replace my icon-making program, because the new MicroAngelo is pricey.  Anything free you recommend?

Edited by Win7wiz, 18 March 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

Sorry no, I have dabbled once or twice at creating icons but was never sufficiently interested to take it any further.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users