Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore did not complete successfully.....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom804

Tom804

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

I got the message SYSTEM RESTORE DID NOT COMPLETE SUCCESSFULLY with reference to UNSPECIFIED ERROR 0x80070091.  I'd like to get it fixed but am reluctant to try some of the stuff I Google.  I trust you people....could someone help me out, please?  

My computer knowledge is somewhat limited but I can follow instructions.

Thanks,

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

Its not easy to resolve System Restore errors you can uninstall all third party antivirus programs and try to restore your system again.

Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

It seems that the anniversary update for Windows 10 disables System Restore.  It can be restored, but since it has been disabled initially there won't be any restore points.

You could do a Reset.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them, but it will uninstall your third party programs.

1. Open the Start Menu and click/tap of Settings.

When Settings opens select Update & Security

Settings%20w10_zpshotznunu.png

2. Click/tap on Recovery, then Get Started.

settings%20w10-2_zpslwcrdejs.png

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

Settings%20w%2010-3_zpsjcoecsv4.png

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

If you have recently installed this operating system you will receive the message below.

Setting%20w10-4_zps9ejgxhyo.png

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Tom804

Tom804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the quick responses....your help is always appreciated.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

dc3 wrote, in part, "It seems that the anniversary update for Windows 10 disables System Restore."

That has not been my experience.  System restore remains active on all three of my machines, two running Win10 Home 64-bit and the other Win10 Pro 32-bit.

While I might have turned it back on on my own laptop I am positive I did not do so on either of the two other machines (which makes me doubt I did on my laptop, either).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,030 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

If a computer was upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 with System Restore active then I believe it stays active but System Restore is supposedly disabled on Windows 10.

http://howdoicomputer.com/2015/07/why-is-system-restore-turned-off-in-windows-10-and-how-to-switch-it-back-on-again/

http://www.brucebnews.com/2016/03/windows-10-tip-turn-on-system-restore-because-youll-really-miss-it-if-you-need-it-and-its-not-there/

Some people have complained the Anniversary update has turned off System Restore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4w04if/psa_windows_10_anniversary_update_disabled_system/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/why-is-system-restore-disabled-after-anniversary/9efdb871-7379-4a01-8317-a03aad600f3a

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

There is a lot of information online regarding System Restore being disabled in Windows 10.  There are those who say that it was disabled by default by Microsoft in a attempt to reduce the size of the operating system.  There are those who have had problems with System Restore being disabled after the anniversary update, and then there are those who have had problems with System Restore after upgrading from either Window 7 or 8.1.  I did a system restore after the anniversary update which was successful, but I've seen enough post where it has been disabled to believe that this is actually happening.

If you want to check to see if System Restore is enable open the Control panel and select System

When System opens select System protection.  Under Protection settings you should see On for Local disk

If it is not, select Configure and click/tap on Turn on system protection.

Edited by dc3, 15 March 2017 - 01:01 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

Interestingly enough, I just had occasion a month ago to configure a new Dell Inspiron, and I was surprised to find that its Windows 10 had System Restore enabled, by default.  Not sure if Dell did that, or if Microsoft has changed their mind about disabling System Restore.  I had checked because I was going to turn it on.

I had understood that Windows 10 shipped with Windows Restore Points disabled, which was my experience when I first did a clean install of Windows 10 on both of my computers back in December 2015.  I had to configure System Restore and turn it on for both of my computers.  The Anniversary Update did not turn off System Restore points in my two computers, so I guess my experience is similar to Brian's.

Just my two cents.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,030 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

Interestingly enough, I just had occasion a month ago to configure a new Dell Inspiron, and I was surprised to find that its Windows 10 had System Restore enabled, by default.  Not sure if Dell did that, or if Microsoft has changed their mind about disabling System Restore.  I had checked because I was going to turn it on.

I had understood that Windows 10 shipped with Windows Restore Points disabled, which was my experience when I first did a clean install of Windows 10 on both of my computers back in December 2015.  I had to configure System Restore and turn it on for both of my computers.  The Anniversary Update did not turn off System Restore points in my two computers, so I guess my experience is similar to Brian's.

Just my two cents.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Turning off System Restore by default is pure stupidity on Microsoft's part. Maybe they think Windows 10 is such a great OS System Restore is not required.  :wacko:

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,162 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

My life experience with Windows is that System Restore itself is a dicey proposition and it fails as often as it succeeds, but when it does work it's far easier than doing a recovery from a full system image no matter what method one is using for the recovery.

I have yet to encounter an Windows 10 system with System Restore turned off, though I will not assert it has never happened.  When it does happen I still have to believe it's a fluke and not by design, and there are plenty of things that can cause fluke occurrences.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users