Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 z_silversurfer_z

z_silversurfer_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:26 PM

I was wondering if there was a way that you can find out what kind of sound card you have without tearing your computer case open?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:56 PM

Hello and welcome z_silversurfer_z!

Everest Home can tell you the Sound Card that you have, and alot more.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:50 PM

Yeah--Everest is real good--it has helped me big time!! :flowers: :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#4 z_silversurfer_z

z_silversurfer_z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 01:48 PM

I guess my sound is inegrated, all it says under adio adapter is nvidia mcp2 which I think is integrated. Can you tell me wether it is?

#5 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:43 PM

You can check which hardware you have via control panel--You probably have what they call "onboard" sound as opposed to a sound card plugged in to a PCI slot. You can look at the bottom back of your box/tower- If the 3 or so slots are empty you have no sound card--if there is a sound card present there shouldd be a mic and/or an earphone jack?? :flowers: :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#6 z_silversurfer_z

z_silversurfer_z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 12:18 PM

Thanks, ya I think I have onboard sound. Can you recommend a good sound card to go with say the new logitech z-5500 speakers? I want a high end sound card but not all the extra accesories, I'm just gonna be playing mp3's with it.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 15 December 2004 - 02:44 PM

I'm getting the Creative Audigy 2 ZS with my Z-5500 speakers (delicious system). It hasn't got the best soundquality out there, but it's really good and it doesn't use too much processor, which is important for me as a gamer. And it's not too expensive to boot.

A warning: Don't put the subwoofer to close to the computer, it'll erase your harddrives.

And you might wan't to look at some high bitrate, as opposed to mp3 average 128, to do those speakers justice.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 02:52 PM

Creative Audigy 2 ZS is the one that I have pumped into Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers.

The sound card is one of the best that you will hear from that price range. I highly recommend it :thumbsup:

When you need help on the install or any driver issues, let us know.

#9 z_silversurfer_z

z_silversurfer_z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 07:55 PM

Just wondering what package you guys went with with Creative Audigy Sound Card. It comes in gamer, platinum and platinum pro. I'm thinkin I'm gonna go for gamer. Do you guys know what the platinum, and platinum pro offers that the gamer does not? By the way I hope you guys don't mind me askin a bunch of what may seem like stupid questions :thumbsup:

#10 z_silversurfer_z

z_silversurfer_z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 07:57 PM

Just wondering what package you guys went with with Creative Audigy Sound Card. It comes in gamer, platinum and platinum pro. I'm thinkin I'm gonna go for gamer. Do you guys know what the platinum, and platinum pro offers that the gamer does not? By the way I hope you guys don't mind me askin a bunch of what may seem like stupid questions :thumbsup:

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:41 PM

How about this-I found a chart that shows the different sound cards. It is from the manufacturer, so it does not include prices, but you will get a better understanding on the different features.

SoundBlaster comparison chart

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:47 AM

No, the platinums have no games, only more hardware(the front panel, remote) and maybe some audio creation software.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users