Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Pro x64 - March Windows Update Renders Computer Unbootable

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:13 AM

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?  I installed Windows 10 Pro x64 (Build 1607) March 2017 updates this morning.  All appeared to go well until the computer tried to reboot.  It couldn't successfully boot.  It would go into Automatic Repair mode, diagnosing, attempting to fix, which failed repeatedly, even when booted from a Windows Start-up Repair CD.  Restore Points could not be successfully restored, something about "AppxStaging" and an error code 0x80070091, which is a strange one because it normally occurs when you try to delete files or folders.  I did check, using the Startup CD and command prompt option, the C:\Windows\System32 folder and at the end of it was about ten files with strange characters, all about 380 bytes.  SFC would not run successfully.

I ended up resorting to my latest Easeus Todo Backup system image of Drive 0 from last Friday, booting from the Easeus Todo Backup Win-PE disk, and restoring all of the partitions on my C: drive.  Then I manually put back the data files changed since my last backup 5 days ago.  I was back in business, with the exception of some minor configuration issues, like my Chrome extensions disappearing and Roboform deciding it was no longer registered.

Even if you were not affected by the updates as I was, this is a perfect example of why taking the time to create regular system backups is SO IMPORTANT.  The only other option left to me would have been a System Reset, if my the restore of one of my Drive 0 system image backups had failed (I keep the most recent four on hand).  My routine is to image Drive 0 every Friday on both of my computers, plus use SyncToy to keep my Drive C: data folders synced to an internal backup drive.

I won't be attempting another Windows Update until immediately after I have created a full system image of Drive 0.  I have looked around to see if anyone else is reporting an issue with the March 2017 Windows Updates, but I have not found anything ... yet.  Perhaps folks are all busy trying to get their computers to boot.  I hope not.

Submitted for your information.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Edited by garioch7, 15 March 2017 - 07:14 AM.

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

Just an update.  I decided to run SFC and it proceeded to 41% and then stated it could perform the requested operation.

I then ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and it completed successfully.  I then re-ran SFC and this time it found "No Resource Integrity violations."

This being Windows 10, it had downloaded the one remaining update that had caused my issues (KB4014329) after I got my computer restored, and my only options were to "Restart and Update" or "Shut Down and Update", so I went for it, hoping that the problem might have been whatever SFC was annoyed about.

As luck would have it, that update installed successfully, the computer rebooted normally, and all is well in my world! :)

It appears that whatever caused it, it was related to this specific computer and possible system file corruption.

Does anyone have any ideas about what these strange files are doing in my C:\Windows\System32 folder?

[attachment=191566:sys32files.PNG]

I ran full scans with both Bitdefender 2017 Total Security and Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.6 (latest build) on the 3rd and on the 10th of March, which is after the date that these strange files show as having been created.  Both utilities, on both occasions, reported no malware.

I used Notepad++ to examine the files and they seem to be related to the submission of the Bitdefender Support Tool logs.  I will check over in their Forums to find out more about whether I can safely delete these files.

[attachment=191567:content.PNG]

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Graduate of the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Study Hall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users