Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heyoldman

Heyoldman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:30 PM

sometimes at the start of the screen, when i try to click on anything, nothing wont show. not even control alt delete. I couldn't manual shut it down. I looked at the startup files for any viruses and did some other work.
Where could i find the problem. What would be my solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

Does the cursor still move when this occurs?

#3 Heyoldman

Heyoldman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:41 PM

yes

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:45 PM

If the cursor still moves the computer is not frozen - wait for it to finish loading.

If this is a recent problem it may possibly be caused by a virus or some other malware.

#5 Heyoldman

Heyoldman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:48 PM

it usually doesn't freeze up like that or whatever, and though the mouse still works, i'm not waiting for minutes for it to just load up. It usually doesn't do it.

if my computer and virus softwares says its clean, what more can be done?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

How long does the computer actually take to completely load?
Some computers can take 4 to 5 minutes.

If this is a new problem the first thing to look at would be your startup folder to see what programs automatically load when Windows does.

I recommend Startup Inspector to examine and adjust the startup menu. It is freeware and is easier to use than the Microsoft utility msconfig which essentially can do the same thing because it better identifies the programs that are being started.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu – helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)
Be sure not to disable your anti-virus program, your firewall and other essential system aps.

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

If the computer is running slowly there are a variety of other reasons that can affect it. When was the last time you cleaned the temp files, defragmented the hard drive and did other necessary system maintenance?

Take a look at BC's slow computer checklist:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 September 2006 - 08:59 PM.

#7 Heyoldman

Heyoldman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:11 PM

thanks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users