Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suitable OS for my PC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bschans

bschans

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:30 AM

My PC is now running WIndows 8.1. I just want to reinstall with new OS. I'm curious, what bit of OS should I use for my PC since my PC configuration just like this:

Attached File  x64.PNG   329.66KB   0 downloads

Attached File  x86.PNG   374.17KB   0 downloads

Thank you in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:38 AM

G'day bschans, and Welcome to BC

Do you mean 32bit vs 64 bit ?

You system is a 32 bit.

many ask the question ...'can i install a 64bit OS on a 32bit system...?...

Look at it this way.... you have a box that can hold 64 books, you can manage to put 32 books in but it will not meet the box's capability...... But you cannot put 64 books in a box that hold only 32 books..... they won't fit .

Therefore....No.

(If i have misinterpreted your question, please correct me)

I must ask....why do you need a new OS....problems with windows 8.1  ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

I have to agree, your question is rather vague.  If you are asking about switching to a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1 you will need to purchase a product code for that version. 

You can download a Windows 8.1 ISO image and use it to create the needed installation media. 

You can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media.  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

You may be asked for your Windows product code for this installation.  This will be provided with the new product code you purchase.

If this is not what you needed, please explain exactly what you are attempting to do.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bschans

bschans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:35 PM

Thank you for all the respones. And sorry for my vague question. Should I switch my OS to 64bit to get best performance?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

You still haven't explained why you want to switch operating systems, more specifically... you have not told us what operating system you want to change to (Window 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10) or if you simply wish to switch from the 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system.

There are advantages in the 64-bit operating system.  With the 32-bit operating system you are limited to 4GB of RAM of which the computer will only be able to use around 3.5GB of that RAM.  Microsoft will try to tell you that you can run Windows 8/8.1 on 2GB of RAM, that is true but it will be painfully slow compared to having 8GB of RAM installed.  As technology marches on more applications are only being offered in the 64-bit version, this means that with a 32-bit operating system you may not be able to run certain applications.

If there is no problem with the computer running normally you should make this clear.  If there is a problem, you need to explain exactly what that problem is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 bschans

bschans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

There's no specific reason. I think my OS' bit doesn't fit to my hardware specification. There's no problem at all. Based on the picture I attached, what is my hardware spec? Is it running 64-bit or 32-bit? And what is the meaning of x86 based PC on my system information? And I want to switch to 64-bit Windows 8.1.

You still haven't explained why you want to switch operating systems, more specifically... you have not told us what operating system you want to change to (Window 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10) or if you simply wish to switch from the 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system.

There are advantages in the 64-bit operating system.  With the 32-bit operating system you are limited to 4GB of RAM of which the computer will only be able to use around 3.5GB of that RAM.  Microsoft will try to tell you that you can run Windows 8/8.1 on 2GB of RAM, that is true but it will be painfully slow compared to having 8GB of RAM installed.  As technology marches on more applications are only being offered in the 64-bit version, this means that with a 32-bit operating system you may not be able to run certain applications.

If there is no problem with the computer running normally you should make this clear.  If there is a problem, you need to explain exactly what that problem is.

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

Press Windows Key + C.

Click Settings.

Click Change PC Settings.

See picture---

screenshot_394.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,884 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

I say if Windows 8.1 in 32bit works fine I say use it.
64bit vs 32bit isnt really a question in improving performance as a 32bit OS will run just as fine as a 64bit one.
I say the only real reason why you would want to upgrade to 64bit is that it will be more future ready (as more apps will eventually migrate to it) and you can have more RAM.
But typically when we talk about 32bit vs 64bit we mean architecture and not performance gains.
This isnt like how back in the 90's you had advertisements like this saying 64bit is better for game consoles:

Actually the reverse was true for the jaguar as the atari Jaguar was not 64bit, it was 32bit.
And it was a failure by the way.
The only real successful 64bit console at the time was the Nintendo 64.
Anyhow as i said there are no true advantages of 64bit over 32bit in terms of performance.
But there would be advantages like having larger memory available (the max for 32bit was 4 gigs of RAM unless you had workarounds like PAE a tech term I will not get into)
Still though if you are happy with 32bit stick with 32bit... for now that is.

Edit: fixed a typo as I accidentally hit my 3 key plus I want to add this

https://youtu.be/KgiMzKb8dD0

And this

https://youtu.be/ptzGI9VaZmQ

Edited by MadmanRB, 12 April 2017 - 10:59 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

There's no specific reason. I think my OS' bit doesn't fit to my hardware specification. There's no problem at all. Based on the picture I attached, what is my hardware spec? Is it running 64-bit or 32-bit? And what is the meaning of x86 based PC on my system information? And I want to switch to 64-bit Windows 8.1.

X86 is a 32-bit operating system.

The first image in post #1 is of System it plainly shows the operating system is a 32-bit version of Windows 8.1 Pro.  In order to change to a 64-bit operating system you would need to purchase at least a valid product code.  This can be a little bit cheaper than purchasing the installation media as well.   You can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media.  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

There is a chance that you may be asked for your Windows product code for this installation.

MadmanRB's statement that the 64-bit version will not improve performance is not really accurate.  Windows 8.1 will run on 4GB (3.3GB to 3.5GB in reality) of RAM in a 32-bit operating system, but it will run much faster with 8GB of RAM.  I would call this a performance enhancement.  The other fact that should not be glossed over is that more and more applications being released are 64-bit versions.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,884 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

Well the thing is that they could be limited to how much memory they have.

If this is a laptop then they could have a limitation on RAM.

The intel core i7-7500U is normally in laptops and without farther information I would not recommend going 64bit.

The original poster should use speccy to give us more information.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

http://www.piriform.com/docs/speccy/using-speccy/publishing-a-speccy-profile-to-the-web

I did not want to suggest using 64bit in this case noting how much ram they have right now, if its possible to get more RAM then yes go 64bit but we have to factor in the age of the hardware and what its limitations are.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

Well the thing is that they could be limited to how much memory they have.

If this is a laptop then they could have a limitation on RAM.

The intel core i7-7500U is normally in laptops and without farther information I would not recommend going 64bit.

The original poster should use speccy to give us more information.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

http://www.piriform.com/docs/speccy/using-speccy/publishing-a-speccy-profile-to-the-web

I did not want to suggest using 64bit in this case noting how much ram they have right now, if its possible to get more RAM then yes go 64bit but we have to factor in the age of the hardware and what its limitations are.

If you were to look at the second image in post #1 you would see that this is a ASUS Notebook which appears to have been released originally in 2013.  Other than the usual overheating issue with the i7-7500U in a laptop or notebook there isn't a problem with this processor being used in a notebook.  Because of the age of this computer I would hazard to guess that there are two DIMM slots and would be capable of supporting anywhere from 8GB to 16GB of RAM with a 64-bit operating system.  Since this computer has a x64-based processor there shouldn't be any problem using this with a 64-bit operating system.

I short... I do not see any reason what so ever why they couldn't or shouldn't install a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1 on this computer and max out the RAM if they wish to.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,884 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

Yeah it does seem that it can take 8GB which is nice.

But still I say to the OP to hold off on going 64bit until they can get that RAM if they are willing to pay for it.

Its not a lot of money for a single 4GB stick of DDR3L 1600MHz

and for a 8GB dual channel set https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820191523&cm_re=8GB_1600MHz_DDR3L_SDRAM-_-20-191-523-_-Product

Not too shabby

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

@MadmanRD

Until you know what model this ASUS notebook is or they post the Speccy Snapshot you shouldn't be making suggestions to purchase RAM that you have no idea if it is even compatible with this computer.  You are putting the cart in front of the horse.  The OP needs to decide if they want more RAM, if they do they will need to go to the 64-bit version of their operating system.

To reiterate... there is no reason the OP can't purchase and install a 64-bit operating system on this computer.  The can continue to use the original module/s if they need to save up to purchase the modules they want.

To continue posting about this is an exercise if futility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users