Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Causes Windows To Become Corrupt?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:04 PM

Well,it happened...I got the BSOD with a Stop Error Screen,error msg # 0X00000024.Tried to reboot but no go,had to power on and off,and kept getting the same screen,in safe mode also.No matter what I did,I could not get past the stop error screen!This all started when I was going into safe mode to do my mal/adware scans.Computer wasn't acting up at all before this,didn't install anything new.
My computer is still under warranty with Dell,so after two hours on the phone with them doing all sorts of tests,I ended up having to do a Re-Install(if thats the right wording for it?).At the end of it, I had the computer that arrived here in a box. :thumbsup: He said my OS had become corrupt.
So,what can a person do so this kind of thing doesn't happen again or to anyone else?? I'm a big fan of regular maintenance...defrag,disk clean up,clear clip board etc.
BTW,after I got all my up dates and back ups done(I'm using dial up), I did a disk clean up and there is 200,980 KB Compressed Old Files.From what I've read,deleting these will cause the disk clean up to freeze. Any Ideas??
What a relief to find out the Windows backup utility and the MozBackup worked like a charm! Wish I would have done backups more often tho... :flowers: live and learn!
Thanx for listening,it feels good to vent about this to people I know will understand.
What a way to spend the Labour Day long weekend!!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:26 PM

What casues Windows to corrupt?

Easy answer = Windows!

Actually this is true it is such a large environment that is is impossible to install it on any one computer and not have some trouble for or from it.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:35 PM

Protection against this kind of situation can be had by buying a program such as Norton Ghost (among others) and storing Ghost images of your system on a second hard drive at regular intervals.

You can then restore a complete image should the need arise including everything that was on your hard drive when the image was taken.

Manufacturers such as Dell in fact image Windows onto your system. They do not install it as you would a retail version.

Dell's restore is a version of this program and resides in a hidden partition on some Dell computers.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:45 PM

TMacK: Sorry you have had such a crappy weekend...
Please see the following support article from Microsoft.

Troubleshooting Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Messages

Since there is a chance that this error can be caused by a defective hard disk, I would run the Dell Diagnostic CD that came with your computer. Run a full diagnostic test on your hard disk, and all of your other hardware.

You don't want to get to far in reloading all of you stuff again to get the same message.

Unless of course, Dell already had you do this....
JC

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:50 PM

Hi Tmack, sorry you had that problem. I am curious though as to what if any attempts at recovery the Dell Tech recommended such as running ChkDsk or ScanDisk or removing scanning programs, etc.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:35 AM

Thanx for lending me your shoulders and for your great advise!

Easy answer = Windows!

So true ThorXP.Just makes me spit nails when some people can abuse the heck out of their computers and never get so much as a burp out of it!

Protection against this kind of situation can be had by buying a program such as Norton Ghost (among others) and storing Ghost images of your system on a second hard drive at regular intervals.

This item was on my Christmas list Enthusiast,but can guarantee it'll be purchased sooner!(Forget the name of the other one).Your entire post was very interesting.
Joshuacat,Thanx for the article.Way over my level of expertise,but did print it out should this happen again.We did run numerous diagnostic tests on the HD and all were okay.BTW,I never got a diagnostic CD,we ran these tests by hitting different keys at boot up(don't ask which ones!).
No we didn't buddy215,I couldn't get past the Stop Error Screen,so none of the tasks you listed nor the ones in the Micro$oft article could be carried out.I don't know if it was obvious that the OS was corrupt,but the Tech was certain that it was the only option...sure hope he was right.
Think I'm finished licking my wounds.....
Any thoughts on the Compressed Old Files?
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:13 AM

Dell's restore is a version of this program and resides in a hidden partition on some Dell computers. -
Check and see if your computer is one of these.

Use the Dell PC Restore by Symantec Utility" support wizard here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...955294456221829

OR

Power the computer on.
When the Dell screen appears press and hold the key on the keyboard, press the key, then release them both at the same time.
The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window appears.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...030030ABD62041A

As far as compressed old files, it depends on what they are and of course, if you will ever need them again.

If you want to do a clean-up of files on your computer look at the following link:
Slow Computer Checklist:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 September 2006 - 05:25 AM.

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:15 AM

Not sure exactly what you mean with the compressed files and cleanup. There is a issue with Disk Cleanup hanging(or taking a long time to complete) at the compressed files stage on NTFS partitions in Windows 2000. I have also heard that it reported in XP, but I haven't seen it myself. There is a registry fix for this issue. Is that what you are talking about? I wouldn't worry about it, unless of course you start having the problem. If you do, you can always come back and start a topic, and we can help you.
JC

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:16 AM

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x24
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

Yes,Enthusiast,the Tech instructed me to hold Ctrl and press F11 to get to the Dell PC Restore the night my computer crapped out...after going thru all the diagnostic tests.
How can I see what these Old Compressed Files are?
Disk Clean up Hanging at the Compressed Files stage is exactly what I'm worried about Joshuacat! Thank You! But,I just got over a problem that I couldn't get out of, to come for help from the great people here at BC.So am a bit,um...gun shy at taking a chance that my PC will freeze.Over 200,000 KB is alot of compressed files! First off,by Enthusiasts recommendation,I should figure out what they are,just incase I ever need them again.
Thanx for the link usasma.I'm starting to get the feeling that there was a method to get my computer to run a Chkdsk or ScanDisk,even in the frail condition it was in.The tech didn't get me to disable my anti virus,firewall or backup utility.
:thumbsup: This all wouldn't have to do with the Windows backup utility would it?It wasn't installed and I didn't have the CD,so downloaded a copy from a very reliable source.Just a thought.
Thanx again Everyone! :flowers:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

From XP Help:

To extract files from a zipped compressed folder
Open My Computer, and then locate the compressed folder.
Do one of the following:
To extract a single file or folder, double-click the compressed folder to open it. Then, drag the file or folder from the compressed folder to a new location.
To extract all files or folders, right-click the compressed folder, and then click Extract All. In the Compressed (zipped) Folders Extraction Wizard, specify where you want to store the extracted files.
Notes

To open My Computer, double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.
You can identify compressed folders by the zipper on the folder icon.
If the file is protected with a password, you must provide the password before the file can be extracted to the folder you specify.
When you extract a file, a compressed version remains in the compressed folder. To delete the compressed version, right-click the file, and then click Delete.
When you extract a file from a compressed folder that is password protected, the extracted file is no longer protected.

#12 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:27 PM

Searched for the compressed files,found one,a zipped file but it was empty.The only other,"zipfldr.dll" (icon had two gears on it),created Sept.2,06,330 KB's in size.
Just thought I'd have another look at the Compressed Old Files entry in Disk Clean Up ,maybe find a clue or something?? Would you believe me if I said the Compressed Old Files is now 6 KB!! I haven't made any changes to the OS that would would reflect such a drastic change. I just don't get it!!
Thanx for all your help Enthusiast.
Hope I'm not not headed for more trouble.....
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:33 PM

They could be (and probably are) restore points.

If you hve plenty of room on your hard drive I wouldn't be concerned, but watch it t regular intervals.

If it really bothers you, reduce the size you set as available for restore points, but I wouldn't advise making it too small, in fact, mine is set to maximum which is Windows default.

#14 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:44 PM

Never thought of restore points,you're a real wealth of knowledge!
Will leave it set at the default size and keep an eye on er.
Happy and Safe Computing to You Enthusiast. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#15 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:53 PM

TMacK, glad you are up and running again :thumbsup: and I hope your hard-drive is not going bad on you.

To answer your question about the compressed files that the Windows cleanup utility is showing you; they are not compressed files that exist on your hard-drive. These are files that have not been accessed for some time and the cleanup utility is asking you if you would like it to compress them for you.

If you check the compress files box and run the clean up Windows will compress those files to free up disk space on your hard drive. Unlike the other options in the disk cleanup utility the compress files option does not delete any files, it simply frees up disk space by compressing files you have not accessed for a while. The next time you run a program that needs those files Windows will automatically unzip them for you.

Here is a link to a short explanation of the cleanup utility:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_cleanup_utility.htm

Good luck :flowers:
There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users