Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista is four weeks from hasta la vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:38 PM

Windows Vista goes End of Life (EoL) four weeks today. That means that if you're one of the 0.78 percent of users still using one of the darkest chapters in Windows history, then it really is time you bought a new computer. Or at least a new operating system.

The thing about Windows Vista was that a lot of people were put off by the now more familiar Aero UI that became a mainstay of Windows 7. It was released too soon, beset by teething problems and was bloated as all heck, taking up amounts of hard-disc that would be unthinkable in these days of 32GB SSD tablets.

By the time it, you know… got good… it was already ingrained as a failure by the tech community even despite the attempts of "Project Mojave", an attempt to fool focus groups by telling them they were using the successor to Vista when they were in fact just using Vista.

Microsoft has been very muted about the death of Windows Vista. So few people have been using it for so long that it has been enough to inform them all directly with pop-ups. But make no mistake, if you're using Vista after the 11 April, you will be unprotected, just as XP users were before you.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

To be honest, if you use your Windows Vista PC only for browsing, gaming, entertainment & just general fun, you'd be as okay as with any modern OS, such as Windows 10, for another 5 years or so. Provided, of course, that you don't click on 'stupid things' on the Internet and you don't use your computer for online banking, business, work or anything that has to do with sensitive data.

My Windows XP Service Pack 3 PC works like, if not better than, the day it was first purchased. The only problem I have with it is that YouTube videos are kinda choppy even though I've tried my best to make them not be. Everything else works perfect, apart from modern gaming, visual development, such as Photoshop, watching HD videos, watching YouTube and that's it.

So, if I were you, I wouldn't be all that bothered to change my Windows Vista OS or my PC anytime soon, provided that I use it as a 'home' computer, if I am just used to and comfortable with it or if I am currently low on cash.
:)

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

My friend has couple of Vista laptops I told he should think about installing Linux on them.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:12 PM

That's a good decision. Ubuntu, Mint, Puppy, etc. all great free OSs. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users