Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop fan makes grinding noise and CPU overheats

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pendant4

pendant4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Last night, I was playing a game on my laptop. I wasn't paying attention and accidentally blocked the air intake on my laptop for a few minutes with my leg. It got really hot (as one would expect) and I noticed a buzzing/grinding noise coming from the fan. I turned off the computer and went to sleep, thinking it needed to cool off.

When I turned it on this morning, the noise was still there. I checked the CPU temp, and it was about 40C when I turned on the computer and loaded up the monitoring program I use (CAM by NZXT). Over the next ten minutes, with the CPU idling, the temperature rose to 80C, at which point I turned it off, as I was concerned the processor would be damaged. CPU load never went over 5%. The fan was still blowing air out of the vent, although not as much air as it usually would if overheated, but as much as it would during normal operation. All of this is true when running both Windows 10 and two Linux distros (ArchLinux and Mint), and the noise is present when the bootloader is up, so I'm fairly sure it is a hardware issue.

Is this a fan issue, or maybe a heat sink problem? The fan is still blowing air, and the CPU isn't running that much, so it seems like it shouldn't be heating up as fast as it is if it's a fan issue. How expensive should I expect this fix to be?

Computer Specs:

Asus ROG GL551JW gaming laptop, purchased 15 months ago

Processor: Intel Core i7-4720HQ 4th Gen Haswell Quad-Core 2.6-3.6GHz 6MB Cache (~8,200 PassMark benchmark points)
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 Dedicated Video Card
RAM: 16GB
Storage: 1000GB HDD

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Edit: Note that as the laptop may still be under warranty (I'm trying to find the warranty info) I don't want to open the case yet.

Edit2: No warranty, disregard edit 1.

Edited by pendant4, 14 March 2017 - 08:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

A buzzing/grinding noise from the fan suggests either a failed bearing or some foreign object caught in the fan housing. You are correct, to verify and fix either of these possibilities would require you to open up the case so I would contact your supplier and get their opinion first. Either of these possibilities would be likely to make the fan run more slowly than normal, making your heating problems worse.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 pendant4

pendant4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

Looks like I'm not covered by a warranty, so I'm going to open it up tonight. Is there anything in particular I should look for?

#4 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

Looks like I'm not covered by a warranty, so I'm going to open it up tonight. Is there anything in particular I should look for?

Just what @Chris Cosgrove, mention about the fan bearing and/or  " some foreign object caught in the fan housing" such as a buildup of dust.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

If you want guidance on how to take this apart, see this video -

You will see that the heat pipe comes away with the fan and when he turns the assembly over you will see a number of whitish-gray looking patches. This is heat sink compund. You will need to clean all these surfaces carefully and thoroughly and replace with new compound. What brand you use matters less than that it is applied correctly - apply a thin even smear to one side of each of the mating surfaces before clamping the heat pippe back down. I would apply it to the surfaces fixed to the mobo.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 15 March 2017 - 09:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users