Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Transfer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 huntsdabibil

huntsdabibil

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

So I am wondering is there a program that you can install or something that will allow me to take everything from my desktop computer and allow me to put it on my laptop. I pretty much I want to put everything on my desktop to this laptop, from files to programs. They are both running the windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

Files are easy, programs should be reinstalled.  Depending on the licensing for the software you may need to purchase additional licenses.

I'd be leery of any software that moves programs.  Back in the DOS days you just copied the directory where the program is installed.  Once we got into windows files are placed all over the drive and entries made in the registry.

I look at a new machine or new OS load as an opportunity to start with a clean slate.  By only installing the software that you actually use you cut down on some of the issues you have.

Your user files are stored in C:\Users\USERNAME, where USERNAME is the name of your user account.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

I have never use this program but PCmover is fast and easy solution for migrating your files, settings, profiles, and applications PC to PC.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users