Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dsl

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 ronniv

ronniv

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

where, on my computer, can I find what my DSL speed is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

Use a speed measurement service such as http://www.speedtest.net Or see if your ISP has a dedicated page for testing Internet speed. I personally rather use an independent speed tester. Or even better use two or three and average the results to get a truer sense of your speed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 ronniv

ronniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

I know how to do the speed test.  Thank you.  I am trying to find out where on my pc it tells me what speed I have.  i.e., 100 mbps, 200mbps, etc.

#4 ronniv

ronniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

Thank you Animal.  I figured out where to look on my pc, and found my speed.  Problem solved.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:51 PM

You're welcome. I guess I didn't understand the question the way it was worded. Would you care to share your answer and how you found it so others may learn?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 ronniv

ronniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:22 PM

I went to control panel, network connections, right-clicked on my network connection and found out my DSL speed.  Hope this helps.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

Thank you for the update. I'm sure many will find the information useful. :thumbup2:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:05 PM

I went to control panel, network connections, right-clicked on my network connection and found out my DSL speed.  Hope this helps.

That doesn't work for me. I just use speedtest.net, works every time.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 hugeB

hugeB

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

It also doesn't work for me.

I would like to know if Windows has a build-in speed test app.

Edited by hugeB, 15 March 2017 - 08:30 PM.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:29 AM

It also doesn't work for me.

I would like to know if Windows has a build-in speed test app.

I'm on Windows 10 on one machine and Windows 7 on another machine and the process that the OP described does not exist on my two machines. I hope that the OP comes on back in this thread and explains exactly what he saw when he performed those actions.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

It doesn't work from the Control Panel's Network and Sharing Center.

Go to Settings, select Network & Internet.

In the Find Setting box type in View Network Connections.  Right click on WiFi and select Status.  You should be able to see the speed there.

Edited by dc3, 16 March 2017 - 08:17 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

In the Find Setting box type in View Network Connections.  Right click on WiFi and select Status.  You should be able to see the speed there.

When I did that the only result was a dialog box that said "No results for View Network Connections." Maybe they discontinued that setting because right now I am using Windows 10 Creators Edition, version 1703.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

I just tried this on my Daughter's laptop and this feature is not included on her version of Windows 10, 1607.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

When you type in view network connection in the search box it appears below the search box, click on this.

Edot:  I'm using the 1607 version of Windows 10 Pro.

Edited by dc3, 16 March 2017 - 01:39 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 ronniv

ronniv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

If your dsl speed is 300 mbps, when you run a speed test what should the download and upload numbers be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users