Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC turning on, but nothing displayed on monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Danjek3

Danjek3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

I've been trying to get my old Pentium 3 PC to start up again, but I've run into a problem; nothing's showing up on the monitor. The motherboard's green led turns on fine when the power supply is turned on, the little light on the bottom of my PS2 mouse that's plugged in comes on (but nothing on my ps2 keyboard), and the cpu fan comes on when it's turned on. I've tried two different GPUs at this point as well, a FX5200 PCI, and a TNT2 AGP, and I've switched my monitor.

The other problem is that I'm not hearing any pc speaker beeps either. Since the motherboard is not in a case, I've been shorting the power button pins to get it turned on. One time, I think I accidentally touched the +5v pin for the speaker with the power button at the same time, and there was a small spark. After flipping the PSU on and off again, it still seems to work, but my little PC speaker doesn't sound at all now, however only on that mobo. What could be happening here? Thanks in advance.

Specs: ASUS CUV4X-E motherboard
512mb PC133 SDRAM
Pentium 3 Coppermine 866mhz
TNT2 M64 AGP graphics card

Edited by Danjek3, 15 March 2017 - 03:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

Drop down to one DIMM in required slot, and, completely remove GPU...

Most mainboards have a beep code for no video adapter found....

If you can't even get that beep sequence, your mainboard might have issues ... (Certainly it's BIOS battery might now be suspect)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 Danjek3

Danjek3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

Drop down to one DIMM in required slot, and, completely remove GPU...

Most mainboards have a beep code for no video adapter found....

If you can't even get that beep sequence, your mainboard might have issues ... (Certainly it's BIOS battery might now be suspect)

There is only one DIMM in the mobo; it's in the first slot. I've reseated it and taken out the GPU, and the speaker still isn't going.

Edited by Danjek3, 14 March 2017 - 06:08 PM.

#4 Danjek3

Danjek3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

I've done some more troubleshooting with an am2+ Mobo lying around, and I have confirmed that at least my FX 5200 PCI version works. When I had first plugged it in, it too showed the same problem as the P3 Mobo, no video output, but after reseating the ram it worked fine. The problem is I've already reseated the ram on the Pentium 3 motherboard many times. I'm thinking the ram could be bad, since it is just a no name Chinese stick I bought off eBay for around 5 bucks; but I have no way to test it. I've also flipped the dip switches for the CPU back to their normal positions (the CPU is actually an 866 MHz model) but that hasn't changed anything.

Edited by Danjek3, 15 March 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

I accidentally touched the +5v pin for the speaker with the power button at the same time, and there was a small spark... my little PC speaker doesn't sound at all now

Not good.

From your description, it appears that the board is not getting to POST screen, and no video signal is getting to the monitor. Without POST nothing is going to happen. If you have a hard drive and/or optical drive connected, disconnect them. At this point you must try to get the mainboard to POST, don't concern yourself with booting into Windows. Make sure your video card is inserted, and reset the BIOS back to default in case the short/spark corrupted the CMOS settings. Try to boot.

Will the RAM from your FX 5200 PCI fit in the RAM slot in your PC3? If so, you could try that to test. Usually when the memory is bad you will get a code beep from the system speaker, but since it stopped working that is no help.

If no joy, you have a low-level hardware failure. That can be caused by only one of 4 things: a corrupted/failed BIOS, a blown CPU, a blown Motherboard, a bad power supply, and on certain occasion, bad RAM.

The fact that the system beeper doesn't sound the keyboard recognition beep after the spark, and there is no video, leads me to conclude that the mainboard has failed. Sorry, but that is how I see it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Danjek3

Danjek3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

I accidentally touched the +5v pin for the speaker with the power button at the same time, and there was a small spark... my little PC speaker doesn't sound at all now

Not good.
From your description, it appears that the board is not getting to POST screen, and no video signal is getting to the monitor. Without POST nothing is going to happen. If you have a hard drive and/or optical drive connected, disconnect them. At this point you must try to get the mainboard to POST, don't concern yourself with booting into Windows. Make sure your video card is inserted, and reset the BIOS back to default in case the short/spark corrupted the CMOS settings. Try to boot.
Will the RAM from your FX 5200 PCI fit in the RAM slot in your PC3? If so, you could try that to test. Usually when the memory is bad you will get a code beep from the system speaker, but since it stopped working that is no help.
If no joy, you have a low-level hardware failure. That can be caused by only one of 4 things: a corrupted/failed BIOS, a blown CPU, a blown Motherboard, a bad power supply, and on certain occasion, bad RAM.
The fact that the system beeper doesn't sound the keyboard recognition beep after the spark, and there is no video, leads me to conclude that the mainboard has failed. Sorry, but that is how I see it.
I'm​ sorry, but I don't seem to follow; AFAIK there's no removable VRAM on that GPU. I'll try to reset the BIOS though, and see how that works out.

Edited by Danjek3, 16 March 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

RAM from your FX 5200 PCI fit in the RAM slot in your PC3

Sorry, Danjek...my bad. For some unexplainable reason as I was typing my reply my mind jumped to a PC. Of course, you were referring to another vid card. Apologies.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users