Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there any point in running a registry cleaner on a new install?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blitzjg

blitzjg

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

Just upgraded to Win10 last night, would I benefit from a registry cleaner?

I didn't see anything on the forums about registry cleaners.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

No, and there is no point in running a registry cleaner Edit: or optimizer, on a system that is 2 years old. They don't help and can actually make things worse by fragmenting the registry. Trust me, I have tried it many times before and it does not improve system performance or boot times. I uninstalled .NET on an XP computer and removed thousands of registry entries. Compacted the registry and noticed no improvements in boot times.

Edit: I did a clean install of Windows and a registry cleaner or optimizer, I wont say which one, said there were multiple things that had to be fixed on the computer. That shows you how useless they are.

Edit: See this post by moderator quiteman7

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 March 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Bleeping Computer STRONGLY recommends against the use of registry cleaners at any time.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

Registry cleaners are holdovers from the days when we measured RAM in MB and not GB.  With increase in processor speeds and RAM, Registry Cleaners are no longer necessary.

Edited by Kilroy, 14 March 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

Not to hijack the thread but does anybody here remember the Microsoft registry cleaner called regclean? It really did a number on Office installs.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Registry cleaners are holdovers from the days when we measured RAM in MB and not GB.  With increase in processor speeds and RAM, Registry Cleaners are no longer necessary.

With all respect - registry cleaners were NEVER necessary. The best of them did nothing helpful. The worst of them could leave your system unusable.

Edited by Allan, 14 March 2017 - 05:23 PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

Just upgraded to Win10 last night, would I benefit from a registry cleaner?  I didn't see anything on the forums about registry cleaners.

Even on other forums, registry cleaners are rarely advocated.  Only a few of us use such utilities to surgically remove a specific set of items for a specific reason existing at that time, after making backups.  Otherwise, those tools are best left alone.  As the previous posters already indicated, no Swiss-Army-Knife utility works to speed things up, to slimTrim things, to compress things, to make things run smoother, etc.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 March 2017 - 06:06 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

Awesome, great info I will delete this thought from my head!

#9 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

Not to hijack the thread but does anybody here remember the Microsoft registry cleaner called regclean? It really did a number on Office installs.

I remember that program.  I used it all the time.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

...anybody here remember the Microsoft registry cleaner called regclean? It really did a number on Office installs.

+1 -- however, as a tip of the hat to the thread starter, I repeat: unless there is a specific purpose, a specific target, it's best to leave registry cleaners alone.  This is the same philosophy used in the malware forum by the malware team: they lead and guide end-users through running specific utilities for specific purposes.

Edited by RolandJS, 16 March 2017 - 07:00 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:23 AM

...anybody here remember the Microsoft registry cleaner called regclean? It really did a number on Office installs.

+1 -- however, as a tip of the hat to the thread starter, I repeat: unless there is a specific purpose, a specific target, it's best to leave registry cleaners alone.  This is the same philosophy used in the malware forum by the malware team: they lead and guide end-users through running specific utilities for specific purposes.

No, there is never a specific purpose or target that make the use of registry cleaners acceptable.

#12 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

You are much better off getting some fresh snake oil. 

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

No, there is never a specific purpose or target that make the use of registry cleaners acceptable.

Incorrect, the only way that I totally uninstalled SpyHunter(?) was the last step being the registry.

Other than a few specifics, I agree with Allen that registry cleaners for general use - are a DO NOT use.

I just now remembered the thread starter indicated registry cleaners [and optimizers] will not be used, so this is my last post in this thread -- unless thread starter has a question for me.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 March 2017 - 08:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users