Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPad 2 wifi problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

Hello,

I have an iPad 2 running iOS 9. Ever since I upgraded from iOS 6 to iOS 7 a few years ago, I have slowly been noticing the wifi connection drops out very fast when I leave the room with the router. The connection is terrible after going about 10 feet from the router. My iPad 1 with iOS 5 connects very well. I have two routers connected to a switch, an Apple Airport Extreme Snow 2003 and a Linksys WRT54G. All other wifi devices connect fine, so I don't think it's a router problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:54 PM

Have you tried the iPad 2 with other WiFi networks (i.e. friend's or relative's house or at some local restaurant with WiFi)? If so, do you have the same issues? This would help narrow down if it is an issue with the iPad 2 itself.

Have you ever tried adjusting the WiFi channels that the router(s) use? This would be in case there is some interference that is effecting the iPad 2 more than the other devices...going to another WiFi channel might help.

Also, do the two routers use the same SSID (wireless network name)? If so, it could be that the iPad 2 is getting confused between the two routers/access points. You could try turning one off (i.e. unplugging it) and see if the iPad 2 connects better.

BTW, it might help if you were a little more detailed in your network setup. For example, how are the two routers setup? Is one connected the modem and actively acting as a router while the other is just setup as an access point (i.e. connects to the primary router through a LAN port rather than its WAN port and DHCP turned off)?

#3 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Topic Starter

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

I have done a test at my local coffee shop and the wifi is still poor while my laptop wifi is fine. The coffee shop wifi is 5GHz and my home wifi is 2.4 GHz, so the iPad responds the same to different channels.

My network setup is like this:

I have a DSL modem connected to a large network switch. From there, I have cables going up to my attic that are distibuted around to wall jacks in the house as wired Ethernet. I have two wifi Access Points connected to those wall jacks on either side of my house. Both use different SSIDs, so I don't think that's causing a problem.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

I have done a test at my local coffee shop and the wifi is still poor while my laptop wifi is fine. The coffee shop wifi is 5GHz and my home wifi is 2.4 GHz, so the iPad responds the same to different channels.

This does seem to suggest that it is an issue with the iPad.

My best thought at this point would be to "Restore" the iPad when connected to iTunes. This would essentially "factory reset" the iPad except have it at the most current iOS version, so you would want to back it up either to iTunes or iCloud.

This would only help if it is some sort of issue with iOS (i.e. some corruption or bug) that re-installing iOS might solve.

The other possibility is that it is a hardware issue (i.e. maybe the WiFi chipset is malfunctioning, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users