Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External USB HDD plugged all the time - 100% usage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gunslinger001

Gunslinger001

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

Hello all,

I have problem with my USB hdd samsung m3 500GB. No one can help me in my national forum so I'm trying to ask here. I don't know if problem lay in Windows, disc, bios or something else.

So, I want to have external disc plugged in for all the time and its working perfectly, until I turn off my notebook. When turn on back, usually (not always, but always when my laptop is off for a longer time) my external disc in explorer manager shows 100% usage and can't mount into the system, I must then plug it off and again plug on and it works perfectly. I've changed cable already and nothing new. One more thing I tried to do; before turn my computer off, I safely removed my device and now, after boot my disc don't even mounted by system and in control panel the device is recognizable but with yellow sign. Then I click to repair it and system searching problems and when find solution I have to rebooting my system once again and then is properly mounted into my system. So as you can see is very annoying, and I looking for solution which can help me without switching over usb.

Can somebody helps me with this problem? I have Windows 10.

Thanks for advance and sorry for my language.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

Windows 10 has a hybrid shutdown using a hibernation file to allow a faster start on boot. See if disabling fast startup in Windows 10 helps. After disabling it remove the external drive and open a command prompt. Type the following to allow a complete shutdown. 

shutdown -s

Reboot and attach your external. Now shutdown and reboot to see if you still get the 100% usage.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 March 2017 - 11:28 AM.

#3 Gunslinger001

Gunslinger001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

It seems work good for now! I'll test tomorrow morning when computer will be more longer off. Anyway big thanks for help, you are a first one who take my problem seriously! Thanks again and I'll write tomorrow with results.

Edited by Gunslinger001, 14 March 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

No problem, looking forward to the update.

#5 Gunslinger001

Gunslinger001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:27 AM

Works perfectly,  I shutdown for a night, and in the morning I hadn't any problems with 100% usage and mounting properly in system. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users